Link to homepage
Search site
page title

Pavements and roads outside my property

Apply for a dropped kerb access from the highway, 'H' markings and other pavement matters.

Report blocked drains, overhanging trees or shrubs, faulty streetlights

Report an issue

Apply for dropped kerb access

The construction of a dropped kerb for a vehicular access is governed by the Highways Act 1980 and the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991. Such construction is controlled, approved and licensed by us as the highway authority. Before we can give approval to a new (or alterations to an existing) vehicular access we must make sure the site does not effect safety and is not detrimental to other highway users.

Request an application pack containing more information

Planning Permission

  • Planning permission from your local planning authority (district/borough/city council) will be required on A, B and C classification roads. You will need to apply to them separately for this. 
  • In certain areas additional planning consents may also be required (e.g. due to an increased risk of flooding you may need permission to pave over an area of your front garden), you will have to check with them over any such requirements.

Underground Services 

  • It will be necessary for you to contact each of the public utility companies to determine details (position and depth) of any services that they may have in the ground at the location to be excavated. Contact details are provided in the application pack.


  • You are advised to obtain at least 3 different quotes for the works.
  • Your chosen contractor will need to hold a valid accreditation under the new roads and street works accreditation scheme to work within a public highway.
  • Your contractor will need to have in place a current public liability insurance policy providing cover for up to £5m.

Safety Aspects 

  • Any gates that are installed must not open outwards over the carriageway, footway or verge.
  • Surface water from your private paved area must not be allowed to flow out across the footway or onto the carriageway.
  • Vehicles on the access must not obstruct pedestrians.


  • All cost involved will need to be funded by the applicant.
  • There are fees due to us to cover the cost of inspecting a proposed site, processing an application and inspection of any works carried out. Full details of the current fees are provided in the application pack.

Private Entrance Keep Clear 'H' Markings

Keep Clear markings (H-markings) are generally provided at sites where the access is not obvious (concealed entrance) or there is a proven problem of continuous obstruction.

Having a private entrance H marking on the road outside your house will not guarantee that the driveway is kept clear, but where these markings have been used, they have been generally successful in deterring drivers from parking across driveways.

Private entrance markings are advisory and have no legal status. If you are experiencing persistent obstruction problems at the access to your property then this a police issue.

Your kerb must already be lowered where the driveway meets the road before a marking can be provided.

adobe_acrobat icon Apply for 'H' markings [123kb]

adobe_acrobat icon Apply for 'H' markings [166kb]

Ask about other issues

If your question is not answered here phone us on 08000 514 514 or email Our office hours are 9am-5pm Monday to Friday but for emergencies you can call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.