Essential resurfacing work on A48
Vital resurfacing work will take place on the A48 at Broadoak and Blakeney in the Forest of Dean from Monday 7th October
Due to the size of the machinery used and for the safety of motorists, local people and staff, the road will be closed in the daytime while the work is carried out. The road will be reopened in the evenings.
To cause as little disruption as possible, the resurfacing will be carried out in three sections:
- 7th to 11th October - Silver Fox Cafe to the railway under bridge at Broadoak
- 14th to 25th October - A48 Awre Road junction to A48 Two Bridges Road junction in Blakeney
- 28th October to 1st November - A48 Awre Road junction through Blakeney village to the end of the 30mph limit
The closures will be between 7.30am to 7pm but works are not expected to be carried out after 5.30pm. The road will be re-opened to traffic each day as soon as it is safe to do so.
The work through the centre of Blakeney has been planned for the half-term school holidays to minimise disruption.
Letters will be sent to local residents and advance signs will be put in place to warn drivers of the closure and diversion. The diversion route will be signed via the B4234, B4226 and A4151(Speech House and Littledean) .
Local businesses will be kept fully informed of the work and they have been reassured that every effort will be made to carry out the work quickly and efficiently so that business can continue as normal.
If residents have any special access requirements they should contact Gloucestershire Highways on 08000514514
Cllr Vernon Smith, cabinet member for highways and flood, said: "This is significant work to make sure this busy road is in the best condition it can be for the safety of all road users. We are carrying out the work in phases to keep disruption to a minimum for local residents and thank people for their patience while we carry out these essential improvements."
School bus arrangements during the A48 closure
- Belfitts school bus timetable during A48 road works [123kb]
- Crystal school bus timetable during A48 road works [298kb]
- James Bevan school bus timetable during A48 road works [302kb]