Apply for a child employment permit

What is the permit for?

When a child of compulsory school age is employed to work after school, at weekends or during school holidays, the law states that they must be registered for work with their local authority, who will issue a work permit. Similarly, if they are involved in entertainment, which covers T.V. film, theatre, modelling and paid sport, they may require a performance licence and a licensed chaperone.

What are the rules for child employment?

Child employment guide for parents and children (leaflet)
Child employment guide for employers (leaflet)

DfE guidance on the employment of childrenOpens new window

How do I apply for a permit?

The application should be signed by the parent and the employer then returned to us within seven days of the start of employment.

Complete the Application for a child employment permit

More information

Work permits and performance licences are issued by:

Education Performance & Inclusion Team,
Shire Hall,
Westgate Street,

For enquiries email

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.