Complaints about schools

How to make a complaint about a school.

Gloucestershire County Council can not look into complaints about schools.

Any concerns you have about your child's education can normally be settled by speaking to the Head Teacher or other member of staff.

If it is not possible to address concerns this way you should make a complaint directly to the school.

Every school will have a complaints policy, and parents are entitled to see it, so ask for a copy. The process may vary from school to school.

The Head Teacher will tell you how to make a formal complaint. This is usually by completing a complaint form or writing a letter to the Head Teacher or the Chair of the Governors. You should make it clear:

  • Why you are complaining.
  • Who you have spoken to already.
  • What you want to happen as a result of your complaint.

The Head Teacher or the Chair of Governors should arrange for your complaint to be investigated. They may ask to meet you to clarify the nature and detail of your complaint. They will give you full details of how they will carry out any further investigation to keep you up to date with progress.

The Local Authority can only intervene in the day to day running of the school in very specific circumstances, and cannot overturn a properly made and legal decision of the Governing Body. In certain circumstances, the Council can work with and advise the school and its Governors, particularly where the Council has statutory responsibilities or duties (for instance, where there is an allegation of discrimination or complaints about a school curriculum).


You have the right to take your complaint to:

Secretary of State
Department of Education
Sanctuary Buildings
Great Smith Street

Telephone 0370 0002288 or Department for EducationOpens new window.

More information about making a complaint about a school can be found at Making a complaint about your child's state school


Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.