Advisory teaching service
Specialist support for children with a hearing, visual or physical disability or difficulties with communication, interaction, cognition, learning and behaviour.
We help children and young people participate and achieve in all aspects of life:
- by developing the skills of the individual and those of their families, schools and settings
- through collaborative working in which the voice of the child is paramount
Find out more
There are four specialist teams who work across the county. We provide leaflets that describe the work of each team and information for parents.
If you would like more in depth information our pages on our sister site, Schoolsnet have a wide range of leaflets covering a range of subjects to support your child's needs. There is a link to Schoolsnet under each heading.
The Advisory Teaching Service is linked to Localities. Localities are locally based teams providing a range of support to vulnerable children and families in their area.
Team for Communication and Interaction
We support children and young people from birth to 19 years, who have severe language impairments or disorders, severe social communication difficulties, and those on the autism spectrum.
- Find out more about our work: Communication and Interaction Team
- If you need more information, go to the Communication and Interaction Team page
If your child has just received a diagnosis of autism, the Information Pack for Parents/Carers of Children with an Autism Spectrum Disorder will help you find information and support.
Guidelines for Augmentative and Alternative Communication with particular reference to communication aids
Teams for Physical Disability and Cognition and Learning / Behavioural, Emotional and Social Difficulties
We work with children and young people who have a physical disability and some children with statements for cognition and learning, behavioural, emotional and social difficulties from birth to 19 years.
- Team for Children with Physical Disability
- Team for children with Cognition and Learning, Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
If you need more information, go to Team for Children and Young People with Physical Needs
Team for Visual Impairment (VI)
This team works with children with a significant level of visual impairment from birth to 19 years.
- Find out more about our work: Team for Visual Impairment
- If you need more information, go to Team for Visual Impairment.
Team for Hearing Impairment (HI)
This team works with children with a significant level of hearing impairment from birth to 19 years.
- Find out more about our work: Team for Hearing Impairment
- If you need more information, go to Team for Hearing Impairment.
Early Years Sensory Group
The HI and VI Teams run a support group for parents/carers of babies and pre-school children diagnosed with a sensory impairment.
This provides a regular opportunity for parents/carers to meet with Advisory Teachers, Deaf Communications Tutor, Audiologists, Speech & Language Therapists and other Specialists as well as each other.
Speakers are invited to the group to discuss a range of topics.
- Find out more about our the group: Early Years Sensory Group