We are a team of Educational Psychologists working for the Local Authority. We offer a comprehensive psychology service for children, young people and their families. We work with educational settings, health and social care partners and other organisations as part of Gloucestershire's graduated SEND pathway.
As educational psychologists, we use our knowledge of psychology, child development and social interaction to promote young people's development, learning and well being (0 - 25 years).
We are a highly qualified team linked closely with local university training providers offering research work and training in a variety of evidence based approaches.
The service has four locally based area teams (Gloucester, Cheltenham, Forest of Dean, Stroud) which work closely with the Advisory Teaching Service.
There are 24 (FTE) Educational Psychologists employed by the Local Authority to deliver both statutory and non-statutory work. The service provides training placements for up to 8 doctoral trainees (Year 2 and 3).
All staff working for Gloucestershire Educational Psychology Service who have contact with children have had the appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS formerly CRB) Check. All Educational Psychologists are members of the Health Care Professionals Council (HCPC).
What do we do?
We work in a variety of ways including:
- consulting with children and young people
- consulting with families, teachers and other professionals
- providing advice and strategies to help facilitate positive change
- contributing to SEND support plans and reviews
- assessment of children and young people's learning, social and emotional needs
- working therapeutically with children, young people and families
- providing accredited therapeutic supervision in CBT
- providing training in evidence based approaches (including accredited Therapeutic Story Writing, CBT, Solution Focussed Approaches, Nurture Groups).
- providing psychological advice as part of Education, Health and Care Needs assessments
- contributing to schools' inclusive practise including policy reviews and broader development work
- providing supervision for doctoral trainees, educational staff and other professionals
- high quality evaluation, research and project work
Requesting Educational Psychologist involvement
Gloucestershire Educational Psychology Service operates as a partially traded service.
All statutory work for the Local Authority is part of the core service delivery offer which also includes support for Critical incidents, a consultation service for pre-school children and children in care.
All educational settings have a named educational psychologist who can be contacted through their local office.
If you would like EP involvement, please download, complete and return our Request for Educational Psychology Service Involvement - 2016 form.
Our parents leaflet has more information about the service we offer. The local offer is also a useful source of information.
We run a programme of courses and workshops throughout the school year.
We are keen to hear from qualified educational psychologists who would like to be included on our register of Associates.
Guidance for school staff and parents on how to support a child or young person who has experienced a traumatic event.
- Dr Deborah Shepherd Principal Educational Psychologist
Tel: 01452 583 649
Area Educational Psychologists can be contacted at the following locality bases:
- Cheltenham: Tel: 01452 328771
- Forest: Tel: 01452 328910
- Gloucester: Tel: 01452 328004
- Stroud: Tel: 01452 328131