Making Every Contact Count (MECC) Training Programme
A one -day programme to provide front line staff with the skills to support clients and service users to make healthy lifestyle choices.
Making Every Contact Count (MECC) is open to front line staff in Gloucestershire working in the public sector and voluntary and community sector.
Aims and objectives
The session aims to prepare frontline staff and volunteers who have regular contact with the public to understand what they can potentially do in the context of an opportunistic conversation to help the person to better take care of their health and wellbeing: in other words, to Make Every Contact Count (MECC).
The session will equip participants with a range of specific MECC skills that will enable them to deliver MECC confidently and consistently well. At the end of the session, participants should be able to:
- Understand the importance of healthy lifestyle choices and their role in health improvement;
- Identify key messages (on smoking, healthy eating/healthy weight, responsible drinking, physical activity, and mental health and emotional wellbeing);
- Use communication skills that will enable them to raise an issue, open up a conversation and assess a person's readiness to change the health-related behaviour;
- Use a range of health behaviour change techniques (including basic motivational interviewing techniques);
- Deliver brief advice and brief interventions;
- Signpost clients to local healthy lifestyle services & support; and
- Feel confident that they can apply the training in practice.
Booking a place
For further information on Making Every Contact Count training and to discuss whether the training is relevant to you and your staff, please contact: Mike Hope, firstname.lastname@example.org
Book via the Learning Management System (LMS) by going to: https://gcc.wdr.co.uk/
The course is scheduled to run over 7 hours (e.g. 09.30-16.30) with one hour for lunch and two short coffee breaks.
Welcome and Introductions - 10mins
- Participants complete the pre-course questionnaire
1. Meeting the public and having helpful conversations (30mins)
- Opportunities to make every contact count
2. Healthy lifestyle choices, health improvement and key messages (1hr)
- The factors affecting health & wellbeing
- Being aware of the key messages
- The five ways to wellbeing
3. Communication skills (raising the issue and assessing readiness to change) (1hr 30mins)
- Raising the issue
- Spotting and responding to cues
- Assessing readiness to change
- 6-step theory of behaviour change
4. Delivering Brief Advice and signposting (40mins)
- The Brief Advice model
- What can be achieved in a short space of time?
5. Delivering Brief Interventions (40mins)
- The Brief Intervention model
- Spotting and responding to "change talk"
- Assessing need and behaviour change possibilities
- Rolling with resistance
6. Applying the training in practice (60mins)
- Action Learning Sets