Day 1 and Day 2 - Dementia Training
This is a two-day programme examining the nature and causes of dementia and strategies for working with people living with dementia.
Our dementia training programme is open to all health, social care and wider public services staff in Gloucestershire, including those in the voluntary and independent sector, and people who are caring for a person with dementia.
The content for both training days has recently been updated and now includes an approach to develop person centred care planning for people with dementia who experience behaviours that challenge (Gloucestershire's 5 step approach).
For further information on Dementia Training please call 01452 324306 or email Dementiatraining@gloucestershire.gov.uk
Day One - Essential Dementia Awareness
This covers an introduction to, and analysis of, the nature and causes of dementia, delirium and depression. It examines various strategies for working with individuals in these situations. Included in day one is:
- What is dementia
- How memory is formed and affected
- The role of the brain
- Developing communication skills and approaches to support people with dementia
Day Two - Person Centred Care & Emotional Distress (Behaviours that challenge us)
The second day focuses on Person Centred Care and the experience of dementia by looking at living with dementia, emotional distress and how to support people to live securely. It explores in depth all aspects of aggression and wandering in relation to dementia and includes Carers issues. Included in day two is:
- Gloucestershire's new 5 step approach
- Understanding well-being & ill-being
- Considering the experience of living with dementia
- The impact of the environment
- Causes of emotional distress & how to support people to live securely and supported in dementia
Preparation for the course
It is advisable that you complete the e-learning course before attending the Two Day Dementia Training Programme.
The e-learning course can be accessed through kwango.com
To obtain log in details, please email: Dementiatraining@gloucestershire.gov.uk
Booking onto a course
Please see below for upcoming course dates.
You can book onto the course online by selecting the following link and using the instructions below:
- Log in or Register
- Non-GCC staff can register using the "register here" link
- GCC staff can register by inputting their SAP user ID in the Username box and then clicking "Request Password"
- After you have logged in, click on "Development Options"
- Find the course by clicking on "Adult Social Care" or searching for Dementia
- Select the button in the "info" column next to the course
- Select the date that you would like to attend and click on "Book Course"
- Type in any special requirements, if relevant, and click on "Request Course"
- Your manager will then be sent details to approve your booking. You will get a confirmation of the booking when it has been approved, and will be sent details of the course 3 weeks before it begins.
For more detailed instructions on the online booking process, please open the booking instructions.
If you would like any help booking onto the course, or would rather not use the online system, you can also book by calling the Learning Service on 01403 212 400 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- There is a selection of courses available to people who are caring for a family member with dementia. If you would like some assistance in choosing the course that is right for your needs, please do contact us
- Please try to attend a course in your correct locality
- Course spaces are limited and fill up quickly, early booking is recommended
- There will be a cancellation fee of £75 for those who cancel their place on course with less than two weeks notice, or who fail to attend on the day. We will take into account exceptional circumstances, and the cancellation fee can be waivered in some instances.
Course dates for 2017
Please find below dates for 2016/2017. Please try to attend a course in your current locality.
Courses in Cheltenham
- 4th April & 18th April - Spaces Available
- 1st June & 15th June - Spaces Available
Courses in the Forest of Dean
- 20th July & 3rd August - Spaces Available
Courses in Gloucester
- 25th May & 8th June - Spaces Available
- 31st August & 14th September - Spaces Available
- 5th September & 19th September - Spaces Available
Courses in Stroud
- 13th April & 27th April - Spaces Available
- 29th June & 13th July - Spaces Available
If you require any further information, please email:
Dementiatraining@gloucestershire.gov.uk, or contact
Gloucestershire County Council
Shire Hall, Block 5, 4th Floor, Westgate Street, Gloucester, GL1 2TG