Mental Capacity Act 2005 & Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Training
Information on available courses
A multi agency training strategy was agreed in Gloucestershire to develop and implement Mental Capacity Act 2005 (MCA) training for all staff in Social Care, Health and Independent and Voluntary sectors. This strategy was later extended to incorporate the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS).
Following an extensive initial training programme, both MCA and DoLS have now been integrated into existing training and development programmes, particularly Safeguarding Adults.
The following additional training opportunities are still available:
- All Health and Social Care staff in Gloucestershire can access the MCA, DoLS, as well as other Kwango e-learning courses. For log in details please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for user name and password and then visit the Kwango home page at www.kwango.comOpens new window.
- DoLS Awareness Forums are available for staff in Care Homes and Hospitals. The aim of the half-day sessions is to provide understanding of roles and responsibilities under DoLS with particular emphasis on the practical aspects of the process. Please telephone 01452 426005 for more information.
- Mental Capacity Act Practitioners Training for Gloucestershire. This is a one day course which will enable candidates to gain knowledge & confidence in the application of the Mental Capacity Act in practice, in line with principles and procedures outlined in the Gloucestershire Multi-Agency MCA Policy, Procedures & Guidelines. The target audience is Practitioners from any of the organisations signed up to the multi agency policy as well as multi-agency practitioners whose role necessitates Level 2 training. From autumn 2014 a bespoke MCA course for CYP practitioners is available.
For GCC staff, please book via SAP. For non GCC staff, please visit Booking a Course
MCA / DoLS Awareness
A half day session is available through our locally accredited train the trainer scheme.
The following training providers have approved trainer's status:
- Stroud College
- Gloucester Care Services
- Badgeworth Court
- Gloucester Hospital Foundation Trust
- Independent trainers
- Cedar Trust
- The Grange
- Orchard Trust
- Richmond Villages
- Morton Hill Care Centre
- Together Trust LD Services