Link to homepage
Search site
page title

Public rights of way

What is a public right of way?

Public rights of way are open to everyone at any time and give you the right to walk, ride a horse or cycle along certain routes. Some rights of way are open to vehicles.

Report a problem on a right of way

Report a problem with...

You can follow up on issues you have reported with our Report it Online query.

Temporary closures

View a list of main temporary closures known to be affecting the public rights of way network.

What is a definitive map and statement?

It is a legal record of the public rights of way and shows the routes of each public footpath, bridleway, restricted byway and byway open to all traffic in the county. 

You can view the: 

  • Original map at Shire Hall during office hours (no need to book an appointment)
  • Rights of Way Map online
    This is not the definitive map but our attempt to show the data in an electronic format

Definitive Map Modification Orders and Public Path Orders

It is possible to change the Definitive Map by applying for a modification order or public path diversion order.

There are three types of modifications:

  • Deleting the public right of way from the Definitive Map
  • Adding a public right of way to the Definitive Map
  • Altering the status of a public right of way already recorded e.g. footpath to bridleway

Register of Definitive Map modification order applications:

The council must provide a register of Definitive Map modification orders.
View the modification order register on-line

Please note that technical issues had recently prevented us from updating the online register, which had led to the status of some applications being shown incorrectly. These issues have largely been resolved, but the occasional error may remain. We are also looking to update the software which generates the register, which may require some future 'downtime'.

Highways Act 1980, Section 31(6) depositions

Section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980 enables a landowner to deposit with the highway authority a map and statement showing the ways (if any) that he/she admits are dedicated as highways. The deposition will provide a degree of protection against claims for additional rights of way based on deemed dedication. It can be kept in force by the landowner submitting Declarations and Statements of Truth at intervals of no greater than 20 years. As from 1st October 2013 a new application form for S31(6) of the Highways Act 1980 has been combined with a statement under S15(A) of the Commons Act 2006. A fee of £150 is now payable with the application form. This is to be reviewed by cabinet later in October and any changes to this amount will be reimbursed if necessary.

Download the application and guidance notes form here.

On acceptance of the application notices are posted on site and the information is added to the register for public inspection.

View the Section 31(6) and Section 15(A) register on-line

Gloucestershire Local Access Forum (GLAF)

This forum consists of interest groups such as walkers, cyclists, equestrians, disabled users and landowners.  It advises the county council regarding access to the countryside and public rights of way matters.  If you would like to find out more, or are interested in joining the forum email
View the GLAF meeting papers on-line

How can I volunteer?

To become a path volunteer email and we can put you in touch with your local group, or contact your parish/town council.