Governor welcome pack
To welcome new governors onto the governing board you should:
- Contact the new governor prior to their first meeting. Find out if they have any questions or concerns that you can help them with.
- Meet the new governor for his/her first meeting and show them where the meeting is held, location of toilets etc. Introduce him/her to the governing board formally so it can be minuted.
- Encourage new governors to enrol on the "Training for New Governors". Full details of our training courses can be found here: Governor training courses
- Give the new governor a copy of the Governor Welcome Pack
Other items to include with the Welcome Pack:
- The school's Instrument of Government
- Governance Handbook
- List of members of the governing board, including name, category of governor (parent, staff etc), date of appointment and (if agreed) telephone number
- The governing board's agreed procedures or standing orders
- List of the committees and working parties of the governing board, with membership and terms of reference
- Calendar of governing board and committee meetings; school terms and holidays: and major school events for the current school year
- Staffing structure of the school, showing names of teachers and other staff, subjects taught and other responsibilities
- School prospectus
- School development plan, or summary if one exists
- Inspection reports (Section 5 and SIAMS)
- List of statutory and non-statutory policies adopted by the governing board and information on how copies of these may be obtained
- Minutes of the two most recent meetings of the governing board
- A plan of the school, if available
- The name of a suggested 'mentor', if the governing board has adopted such a system of support for new governors
- Governors username and password for Schoolsnet - available from the school administrator
- A link to the Governor training courses available for governors, clerks and headteachers
Did you find what you were looking for?