We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue we'll assume that you are happy to accept cookies.

Skip to main content
School buses in severe weather

If your road is affected by severe weather conditions your school bus may not be able to access your child’s bus stop.  All operators will do their best to reach all accessible areas

Have your say on the budget

Gloucestershire County Council is asking residents to have their say on proposals to focus on
vulnerable children and adults, better roads and a new school in next year’s budget.

Take part in the consultation

Apply for a school bus pass

Replacement school bus pass click here

School transport for pupils 4-16 years old

When choosing a school or college you should think about how your child will get there.

Most children and young people do not qualify for help with transport and you will have to make sure you can meet the costs of getting your child to school throughout their education.

We can only help with the cost of transport in certain situations to children who live in Gloucestershire and attend a maintained school or academy. If we can't offer financial help you may be able to pay for a place on a school bus.

In 2011 we reviewed our policy and changed the entitlement rules however, children who were getting help before the changes will still be entitled unless their circumstances change.

The criteria is set out in our policy:
4-16 Transport Policy 2017-18

You will need to read the policy before applying.

You may be eligible for free school transport

If your child goes to the nearest, or nearest available school to your home address and is;

  • 2 miles or more for pupils aged under 8 years.
  • 3 miles or more for all pupils aged 8 and over
  • you are getting the maximum award of Working Tax Credit
  • your child is eligible for free school meals

If you think you are eligible apply for a seat as soon as you get offered your school place.

Please ensure you provide a valid email address as this will be used for correspondence.

If you think you qualify - apply hereOpens new window

You can also apply by post using the 4-16 school transport application form

Please read the Home to School Transport Policy to see if you are entitled to free school transport.
You must apply for free school transport as soon as you accept the school place for your child.

We can only provide transport help to and from one address and this should be the child's main, permanent address.

Spare Seat Scheme

From 2016/17, transport for non-entitled pupils will be provided as part of the spare seat scheme. For more information about Gloucestershire County Council's spare seat scheme, please visit the spare seat scheme page.

If you have already submitted an application for the Spare Seat Scheme, academic year 2017/18, please be reassured that your application will still be considered under the new scheme.

Children and young people with special educational needs may get help with transport but it is not an automatic right. An individual assessment is made of the child's needs and circumstances.

Support available to enable young people with SEND to attend school or college

For the safety and well-being of pupils travelling on schools buses pupils must behave appropriately and must understand our a code of conduct and the sanctions we may use.

If your child has lost their bus pass a replacement will cost £5.00 - you can order and pay online.The exception being bus passes issued by John Dix Travel and the Swanbrook Churchdown school routes who should be contacted direct for replacements. You will need to provide your child's name, date of birth and school.

Order a replacement school bus passOpens new window

This only applies to bus passes issued by Gloucestershire County Council. If your child has a pass issued by a bus operator you will need to contact the operator direct.

If you do not meet the entitlement criteria set out in our policy your application for transport assistance will be refused. If, after being refused, you feel that you have extenuating personal circumstances you should request an application form for your case to be considered by a Senior Officer Review Panel. To request a form for a Senior Officer Review, please contact the Transport and Benefits Team on 01452 425390.

On this form you should clearly demonstrate that our policies do not adequately deal with your circumstances or that your circumstances warrant a decision outside the policy.

If your application is refused by senior officers you can request a formal appeal against their decision and you will be advised of this process in writing.

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.