Gloucestershire Virtual School has a responsibility to train and educate key professionals around how to support and enhance the academic progress of children in care:
These professionals include:
- Social Workers
- Foster Carers
- Schools (including governors)
Training will include information about the Virtual School in general, school admission arrangements; special educational needs; understanding attachment and trauma disorder; attendance and exclusions; homework; choosing GCSE options; managing any challenging behaviour in relation to education settings; promoting positive educational and recreational activities and supporting children to be aspirational for their future education; and training and employment.
Providing this training will ensure that the Virtual School are playing their part in fully equipping the team around the child with the skills and knowledge they need to carry out their roles and responsibilities effectively.
To find out more about the Virtual School Training and Development Programme, please contact our training lead Philippa WalkerOpens new window (01452 328362)
See below for a flavour of some of the training opportunities we have to offer and take a look at our e-learning opportunities.
Annual Designated Teacher Training Day
See here for further information on our annual Designated Teacher day
Personal Education Plan Training
This training is for anyone involved in the PEP process for children in care and aims to enhance the quality and effectiveness of education planning for them in order to raise educational achievement.
- To understand the legal framework surrounding the PEP
- To understand the importance of PEPs and where they fit with other planning
- To understand professional roles with the PEP
- To improve the quality of the PEP and the outcomes for children and young people.
Induction Training for New Designated Teachers
This training is aimed at new Designated Teachers and outlines their role in supporting children and young people in care.
- To outline statutory role of Designated Teacher
- To understand the role of Gloucestershire Virtual School
- To understand the duties and obligations for the Designated Teacher
- Find out what funding streams are available - Pupil Premium Plus
An Awareness of Attachment and the Impact of Early Experiences on Learning and Behaviour in School
This course is for teaching and non-teaching staff to gain an awareness of how a child with attachment difficulties may present in a school setting.
- To understand what is meant by ‘attachment’
- To begin to consider behaviour in the context of early years’ experiences
- To begin to think about ‘attachment’ in the classroom
Improving Outcomes for Children in Care
High quality training offer for Achievement for All schools working in partnership with, and funded by, Gloucestershire Virtual School.
- Improving outcomes for Children in Care
- The London Fostering Achievement programme
- Attachment, Trauma, Loss, attendance
- STEEP analysis tool
Children in Care Governor Training
Understanding the rights and needs of Children in Care in regards to accessing education
- To understand the profile of Children in Care and implications for schools
- To be aware of legislation relating to Children in Care
- To understand the roles and responsibilities of schools and governors with regard to the education of Children in Care