Ordering copies of vehicle licensing records
Gloucestershire Archives holds some vehicle licensing records. We can provide certified copies from the records that we hold.
Vehicles licensed by Gloucestershire County Council (K264)
Gloucestershire Archives holds the records for individual vehicles, including motorcycles and tractors, licensed in Gloucestershire between 1903-1975.
We can provide certified copies of these which the DVLA require for re-registering an old vehicle. Please note that we need the vehicle's registration number.
- £35 (includes making copies, certification and postage)
Please note that the amount of information recorded about an individual vehicle can vary.
Vehicles licensed by Gloucester City Council (GBR L15)
Few records relating to vehicles licensed by Gloucester City Council have survived. These are:
- registers of early licences issued between 1903 and 1920
- some sample vehicle registration files mainly covering the years, 1954-74
- a few registration books for the years 1936-52
- some licence renewal documents covering the years, 1919 until the early 1960s (microfilm).
You can employ an independent researcher to search these for details of your vehicle and make copies of any information found. Please note that licence renewal documents survive only if the renewal took place between the date of the vehicle's first registration and the compilation of the films.
We can certify your copies of registrations.
- £20 (includes verifying your copies, certification and postage)