When you arrive
Advice on what to do when you arrive at the archives and what facilities are available
Please check our opening hours and location before visiting.
There is a car park on site, with a suggested donation of £3 per day. Free for volunteers and Blue Badge holders.
There are also public car parks in Hare Lane and Great Western Road, both within easy reach, and the bus and railway stations are nearby.
For more information about disabled facilities please see access for disabled people.
To visit us, you'll need to:
- use an Archives and Records Association (ARA) Archives Card.
If you do not already have an Archives Card, please register for one online before your visit. This replaces the discontinued County Archives Research Network (CARN) reader’s card.
All first time users of an ARA Archives Card will need to bring ID to validate their application. Arrangements have been made to show ID, at a safe distance. You can find a list of acceptable ID here.
Gloucestershire Archives has the following facilities for visitors:
- Locker room for bags and coats.
- Customer Coffee lounge with free water dispenser.
- A staffed enquiries desk, where you can ask for help and advice during your visit.
- Microfilm and microfiche readers. Please pre-book these, giving five days notice if possible, and you will need to wear gloves which we will provide.
- Public computers with access to the internet, including access to the Ancestry and Find My Past websites. Please pre-book these, giving five days notice if possible.
- Full wi-fi availability in the research room.
For information about making copies during your visit please see Document Copying Service
Please read through our Public research room guidelines pens new window before visiting.