Local History Resources at Gloucestershire Archives
for anyone who wants to know about the history of the historic county of Gloucestershire and the City of Gloucester
Books and periodicals
- We aim to hold a copy of every published book about people, places and topics related to Gloucestershire. Check the Archives catalogue for our holdings.
- Victoria County History of Gloucestershire (most volumes are also available online)
- Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society
- Proceedings of the Cotteswold Naturalists' Field Club
- Periodicals published by Local History groups across the County.
- Gloucester Journal from 1730
- The Citizen from 1876
- Cheltenham Examiner (article index) The Cheltenham Examiner newspaper is only available at Cheltenham Local and Family History Centre, please contact the staff for copies.
- We hold a range of local newspapers covering the County.
- Tithe and Inclosure maps and awards
- Estate maps
- Ordnance Survey maps of Gloucestershire (1880's, 1900's, and 1920's)
- GOAD maps, these show businesses in town centres from 1970's to date.
- Modern Ordnance Survey maps and street plans from the 1950's.
- These survive from the late 18th century and cover the whole county with individual volumes for Gloucester, Cheltenham and some of the market towns in the county.
Borough and Town records
- Cheltenham Borough, 1786 to 20th century (Catalogue reference CBR)
- Gloucester Borough, 16th to 20th centuries (Catalogue reference GBR)
- We hold a range of town and borough records for other towns in the County. Check the Archives catalogue for our holdings
- We hold an extensive collection of prints, postcards and photographs. Check the Archives catalogue for our holdings.
Census enumerators' returns
- Microfilm copies of the census returns, 1841 - 1901, for the whole of Gloucestershire including Bristol, with street indexes for Gloucester and Cheltenham