Skip to content

Part 5 - Appendix 1 - Whistle-blowing procedure

Appendix 1 - whistle-blowing procedure of the Code of Conduct for Employees.

While we hope this policy gives you the reassurance you need to raise your concern internally with us, we recognise that there may be circumstances where you can properly report a concern to an outside body.   In fact, we would rather you raised a matter with the appropriate regulator than not at all. The following organisations are possible contact points.

Protect (formerly Public Concern at Work) (or, if applicable, your trade union) will be able to advise you on such an option if you wish.  



Contact details

Action Fraud


Report fraud and cyber crime.

Please refer to Internal Audit first.


Tel: 0300 123 2040

Website: Report Fraud


Care Quality Commission


Contact them about matters relating to the provision of health and social care.


CQC National Customer Service Centre
Newcastle upon Tyne

Tel: 03000 616161
Website: CQC website

cqc - contact us - Report a Concern


Charity Commission


Contact them about: the proper administration of charities in England and Wales and of funds given or held for charitable purposes in England and Wales.


Tel: 0300 066 9197




Website: Charity Commission

Department for Work and Pensions


Central government department responsible for benefits and pensions



National Benefit Fraud Hotline

Telephone: 0800 854 440 (English) Telephone: 0800 678 3722 (Welsh) Textphone: 0800 328 0512
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

You can also report suspected benefit fraud online or by post.

National Benefit Fraud Hotline
Mail Handling Site A
WV98 2BP


Environment Agency


Contact them about: acts and omissions which have an actual or potential effect on the environment or the management or regulation of the environment. This includes those relating to pollution, abstraction of water, flooding, the flow in rivers, inland fisheries and migratory salmon or trout.


National Customer Contact Centre

PO Box 544


S60 1BY


Tel: 03708 506 506

Website: Environment Agency

Equality and Human Rights Commission


The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) monitors human rights, protecting equality across 9 grounds - age, disability, gender, race, religion and belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation and gender reassignment.


EHRC is an executive non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Department for Education.


Equality Human Rights


Advice Line: 0808 800 0082

External Auditors (Grant Thornton)


Objections to the council’s accounts.

A guide to your rights can be found at Council Accounts - a guide to your rights


Objections should be addressed to the auditor, Grant Thornton UK LLP, The Canterbury Business Centre, 18 Ashchurch Road, Tewkesbury, GL20 8BT.


Health and Safety Executive


Contact them about:

•the industries and work activities for which the Health and Safety Executive is the enforcing authority under the Health and Safety (Enforcing Authority) Regulations 1998

•the health and safety of individuals at work, or the health and safety of the public arising out of or in connection with the activities of persons at work


Tel: 0300 003 1647


Online form: Raising your concern


Or contact GCC’s Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) Team.

Telephone:01452 425350.



HM Revenue and Customs


Contact them about:

•the administration of UK taxes

•the administration of national insurance and tax credits systems

•customs and border-related functions

•criminal investigations


HMRC Fraud Hotline


CF14 5ZN


Tel: 0800 788 887

Website: Reporting Tax Evasion

Information Commissioner’s Office


Contact them about: compliance with the requirement of legislation relating to data protection and to freedom of information.

The Information Commissioner’s Office

Wycliffe House

Water Lane 




Tel: 0303 123 1113


Website: ICO website



Gloucestershire MPs



Gloucestershire MPs 



Ofsted is the Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills. We inspect and regulate services that care for children and young people, and services providing education and skills for learners of all ages.

Complaints about schools and childminders

Contact form Complain about a School

Complaints about other providers Ofsted inspects

Contact form Online Complaints

General enquiries


Contact form Contact Form

General enquiries 0300 123 1231

Our helpline is open from 8 am until 6 pm, Monday to Friday.

Contact Ofsted about concerns


Contact Ofsted about concerns 0300 123 4666



Gloucestershire Constabulary

Waterwells HQ


  • Telephone 101
  • In an emergency telephone 999

Serious Fraud Office


Contact them about: serious or complex fraud, including bribery and corruption, in England, Wales or Northern Ireland and civil recovery of the proceeds of unlawful conduct.


Please refer to Internal Audit first.


The Director of the Serious Fraud Office

2-4 Cockspur Street




Website: Reporting serious fraud, bribery or corruption

Trade Union


Formal staff representation.

Gloucestershire County Council recognised list of Trade Unions:


Trade Unions and Professional Associations 



Page updated: 12/10/2020 Page updated by: Gloucestershire County Council

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.