Looking to the Future - council strategy
Looking to the Future sets out the council’s vision and level of ambition for the county over the coming years, and what it will do to support improved outcomes and quality of life for every community and business across Gloucestershire.
It is important to be ambitious about what we want for the future of the county and clear about how we’re going to make it happen.
Read our Looking to the Future council strategy.
What is Looking to the Future?
What are our ambitions?
Adapted from those established through Vision 2050 to reflect the role the council plays, Looking to the Future sets out nine ambitions for the future of the county:
- A Magnet county - A growing working age population, with more 18-40 year olds with high level qualifications choosing to live and work in the county.
- An Innovative county - More businesses starting up, growing and investing in research and innovation.
- A Skilled county - More people with high-level skills and jobs in skilled occupations.
- A Prosperous county - Rising productivity and household incomes offering higher living standards.
- An Inclusive county - The economic and social benefits of growth to be felt by all.
- A Healthy county - People to have a good work / life balance and improved health and wellbeing.
- A Connected county - Improved transport and internet connections so that people and businesses can connect with each other more easily.
- A Sustainable county - More efficient use of resources and more use of sustainable energy.
- A Resilient county - Active, resilient local communities that keep people safe, provide them with support and help them to make a positive contribution.
What actions will we take to achieve our ambitions?
Under the following headings, a range of actions have been set out in Looking to the Future, that will help achieve these ambitions:
- Children’s wellbeing and safeguarding
- Education and skillls
- Health, care and prevention
- Communities and localities
- Transport, economy and infrastructure
- Highways delivery
- Council leadership
Being ambitious about what we want to achieve will help the county go from strength to strength in the years ahead. There are challenges we must overcome and opportunities we must make the most of but by being clear about what it is we want to achieve, we can be successful and ensure everyone in the county reaps the benefits of that success.
Taking the Vision 2050 ambitions, adapting them reflect our role, adds further weight to an already shared picture for the future, which is important because only if partners and communities are pulling in the same direction will we truly be successful.
Looking to the Future videos
Our council strategy animation:
Council strategy for education:
Council strategy for children's safeguarding and wellbeing:
Council strategy for communities and localities:
Council strategy for transport, economy and infrastructure:
Council strategy for Highways delivery:
Council strategy for council leadership:
Get in touch
Please take the time to let us know what you think about Looking to the Future and what part you might be able to play.