Skip to main content

What's in my social care records?

If you have had involvement from social care in your life, there may be written information held about you by Gloucestershire County Council. 

If you would like to obtain a copy of any information held, please follow the steps below:

If you have a social worker, you may wish to talk to them about seeing your files. They can help you to submit a request.

You can request access yourself either verbally (in person or by phone) or in writing. Greater detail of your information rights and a link to our subject access request form can be found here:

Your information rights

Or contact: The Information Management Service

Tel: 01452 324000

Email: managemyrequests@gloucestershire.gov.uk

Address: Shire Hall, Westgate Street, Gloucester, GL1 2TG,

You will need to let us know what information you are looking for. The more information you can give us the easier it will be for us to find your files, so include your full name(s), date of birth, address(es) and any other details that might help.

You will also need to provide the following:

  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of change of name (if applicable)

If we hold the information you have requested, you will be given a copy of everything you are entitled to receive. This may take some time but will usually be within 1 calendar month, although in some circumstances this may need to be extended.

Please remember: The only information we can give to you is about you, not about family members, friends, doctors, teachers, social workers or anyone else, unless you have their permission. If you are requesting social service files and would like to meet with a social worker so that they can go over the files with you and explain them we can arrange this for you, so please contact us.

Please note we will not acknowledge or deal with requests requiring us to open links to portals or websites acting as intermediaries. Please make your request as described above so that it may receive prompt attention.

You have a choice:

You can ask for the information to be sent to you in the post or by email, or you can request to meet with someone who will share it with you.

You may find it useful to have support from someone you trust when looking at your records.

We have to undertake checks to ensure that information is only shared with individuals that have a right to see it.

You will need to provide proof of identity, this can be done through your social worker if you have one.


Parents or guardians wanting access to a child or young person's records must meet certain requirements.

You will need to provide:

  • Proof of parental responsibility for the child.
  • Proof of your identity.
  • Proof of the child's identity.
  • Permission from the child if they are 13 or older.

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.