The census is taking place in March 2021. It’s a survey that happens every 10 years and gives us a picture of all the people and households in England and Wales. It helps plan and fund public services, like transport, education and healthcare.
You can help by:
- Promoting the census in your area
- Assisting the ONS to build their understanding of local communities within you area so we can better encourage people to take part in the census.
- Identifying candidates for local field staff recruitment
- Supporting the online census
- Supporting local census field teams
By taking part and encouraging others to do the same, you’ll help make sure you and your community get the services you need.
A councillor handbook has been produced by the Office for National Statistics, which explains in more detail what the census is all about, why it matters, and how councillors can help spread the word in their councils and communities. You can access the handbook here.