The EXCELL Directory
The Directory is a showcase of Outstanding early years practitioners who have elected to promote themselves in order to offer support to other settings. This offer of support is without financial recompense. It is organised entirely by the setting seeking support and the setting offering support. The Directory includes details about the type of setting, their contact details and the aspects of practice that the setting feels are their areas of expertise.
What are the characteristics of an EXCELL member?
An Outstanding setting that is a member of the EXCELL Directory will:
- Demonstrate deep knowledge and understanding of early years pedagogy with reference to recent and relevant research
- Have a positive working relationship with all colleagues and other professionals
- Have a wide range of skills for leadership of learning
- Have a commitment to continuing professional development for staff
- Have a desire to work collaboratively with others, providing appropriate support, to secure high quality early learning and care.
What might an EXCELL member provide?
On request they will provide different types of support for settings, this may include:
- Demonstrating best practice in their own setting, and welcoming visitors from other settings
- Offering follow-on support for individual practitioners who have visited their setting to observe best practice
- Leading/facilitating a CPD event for practitioners
- Sharing specific expertise, for example in early language development, Story Making or the enabling environment.
Who can access support and how do they do so?
All settings regardless of Ofsted Grade are can access support from settings in the EXCELL Directory. It is the responsibility of the settings requiring support to contact the setting offering support. Support is not overseen or Quality Assured by the Local Authority. Ofsted, as the sole arbiter of Quality, has graded the settings in the Directory as Outstanding. Settings may wish to consider when the Ofsted Grade was achieved.
What will an EXCELL member receive from the Local Authority?
- Online publication of settings participation in the EXCELL Directory.
- Annual certification for use in setting and/or on paperwork, including the EXCELL Logo.
- Access to two planned continual professional development events each year.
How is the EXCELL Directory promoted?
The Directory is promoted by the following means:
- Through regular updates in the Early Years Newsletter including case studies from participating settings
- On the Early Years website
- Through Heads up
- At training events
- By Early Years Locality Advisers
- By Early Help Advisers
- By settings who have used the Directory.