School places in Cheltenham
Proposals for a new school in Cheltenham
Gloucestershire County Council is responsible for planning and allocating local school places.
When planning places, the council considers factors such as the number of children in education in the town, the housing being developed and the local birth rate, to estimate the number of children entering year groups.
This information is then used to forecast the need for school places over the coming years.
Our forecasts have shown us that the school age population is rising and that there is a continuing need to increase the number of places in Cheltenham primary and secondary schools.
To help meet this increased need we’ve worked with schools in Cheltenham to use up surplus capacity and add new places to existing local schools. However, it is not possible to continue to expand these local schools indefinitely.
As a result, the county council is looking at alternatives to help meet this increased demand, including the proposal of a new school in Cheltenham.
On Wednesday 13 December 2017, Cabinet gave approval to establish a new 900 11-16 place secondary school in Cheltenham. Funding for the school was approved by Council in February 2018.
Following a selection process in June 2018, the Regional Schools Commissioner announced that the preferred sponsor for the new school is Balcarras School in Charlton Kings.
- Traffic surveys around the Leckhampton and surrounding areas were undertaken in summer 2018. The data is currently being analysed regarding potential future impact on traffic and a report (to GCC Highways) is expected shortly on findings and recommendations.
- Surveys on the land identified for the new secondary school, were undertaken in August 2018. These survey findings informed an options appraisal, considered by the Council in determining the preferred location for the new school.
- Consultation conducted by Balcarras Academy Trust to take place from September 2018. Any questions on this consultation regarding the setting up of the new school and entering into a funding agreement with the Secretary of State should be directed to the school in the first instance.
- A design process for the new school is underway and a formal planning application to be submitted to Gloucestershire County Council is expected in Spring 2019.
Have a question or would like further information? Email us at NewCheltenhamSchool@gloucestershire.gov.uk or find the answers to some frequently asked questions in the Related Links.
- Strategic Review Package
- Assessment of Cheltenham Schools
- Specification for a new school in Cheltenham
- Impact assessment for a new school in Cheltenham
- Cabinet agenda and notes - Wednesday 13 December 2017
- Cabinet Decision Statement – Wednesday 13 December 2017
- One step closer to new £30m school
- 17 11 14 - Cheltenham Secondary School - New Sites Sequential Test
- Recently submitted responses to questions regarding the New Chelt School Specification_LV_21.03.18.