We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue we'll assume that you are happy to accept cookies.

Skip to main content

Request Educational Psychologist involvement

Early years settings, school and colleges

If you would like support from an EP, you will need to complete our Request for EP Involvement Form and General Data Protection Regulation Form.

For most types of work, your school/setting will need to have a subscription to the EP Service. You can find out more information about our costs.

Early years settings do not need to subscribe to the EP Service. This work is funded by the Local Authority.

We have found that is it most useful for schools/settings, when consulting with their EP about children and young people's needs, to think about this process:

  1. Discuss some of your thoughts and concerns with your EP and what you would like from their involvement.
  2. Complete our Request for EP Involvement Form and ensure it is signed by parent(s)/person with parental responsibility together with the General Data Protection Regulation Form.  Ensure that you share our parent information leaflet.
  3. Once signed, return the Request for EP Involvement Form and signature page of the General Data Protection Regulation Form to your EP. 



As a psychology service, we take requests for involvement from schools and other educational settings. If you are a parent/carer and think that your child would benefit from EP involvement, please discuss this with the relevant member of staff at your child's educational settings. This is usually the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) or the Headteacher. It might also be worth exploring the range of information available if you and your child's school think that your child has additional needs.


Gloucestershire County Council also has a range of information about GDPR and privacy.

Gloucestershire Educational Psychology Service (EPS) forms part of the Education Department within Gloucestershire County Council.   The EPS provides specialist support and advice for children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.

The Data Protection Act 2018 requires the Educational Psychology Service to provide parents and carers of children with special educational needs and/or disabilities with information about how their personal data will be processed, and their legal rights.

Why we collect and use your information.

Gloucestershire County Council (GCC) is the data controller for the personal information we collect from you. The Council has a statutory duty to provide for the educational needs of your child/children.  If the personal data is not available we will be unable to provide this service to the child. We will gain your consent before beginning to process any data relating to the child. The contact information is collected in order to communicate with you, to telephone and discuss aspects of your child/children’s educational provision, to send out reports, assessments and associated information. Your signature indicates that you are happy for us to communicate with you in any of these ways and to record and collect this information in electronic form.

The information we collect about the child:

The Educational Psychology Service will collect only the personal information we need to perform our functions. We will collect name, address, sex, date of birth, email, landline and mobile phone contact details, physical and mental health data, social care information, background information, including schools and settings attended, programmes, reports and test results, records of therapeutic and educational interventions, and professional observations. Parental and familial opinions will be included, as will comments from persons with legal responsibility for the child standing in for the parent/s.

How we will use the information:

Gloucestershire County Council’s Educational Psychology Service will collect and use the data to determine the educational needs of the named child and to work individually and collaboratively in developing their skills and those of their family, school and settings.  We will also do this in order to enable the child to participate and achieve in all aspects of life.  The information collected may also be used to provide statistical information and/or determine areas of need in order to target future resources.

 The information may be attached in electronic form to details held by Gloucestershire County Council.

How long we keep your information:

Gloucestershire County Council will keep the personal data for 35 years from the date of birth of the child. Under the Children and Families Act 2014, Gloucestershire Education Authority can provide support to young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities up to the age of 25. At the end of this provision, under the Limitation Act 1980 section 2, the young person has 6 years in which to bring a claim against the Council. Gloucestershire County Council, like other authorities, rounds up this period to an individual’s 35th birthday and provides, in the Corporate Retention and Disposal Schedule, that Educational Psychology Service Records should be retained for 35 years.

Who we share your information with:

GCC may share your child’s data with the NHS, care providers, tribunals, and, anonymised, with government departments.

Your rights:

Right to withdraw consent:

You have the right to withdraw your consent to the council processing the information about your child. To do this, please write to us at Educational Psychology Service, 4-6 Commercial Road, Gloucester, GL1 4UU.

Please be aware that there may be some situations where we are still allowed to keep and use your information, even when you have withdrawn your consent.

Access to your information:

You have the right to request a copy of the information we hold about you. If you would like a copy of some or all of your personal information, please visit our website using the link below:


Correction of inaccurate information:

You have the right to request that Gloucestershire County Council correct information that you believe is inaccurate or incomplete. You may not always be able to change the information. However, we will correct factual inaccuracies and may include your comments in the records.

The right to be forgotten (erasure):   

You have the right to request that the Council deletes your information when there is no compelling reason for us to continue using it. Please be aware that in certain situations we are still allowed to keep and use your information, even when you request that it should be erased.

The right to object

You have the right to object to us using your information if we have collected it in the performance of our public tasks or when you have received marketing from us. Please be aware that in certain situations we are allowed to still use your information if there are compelling legitimate grounds to do so.

If you wish to contact us to use any of these rights, write to:  Educational Psychology Service, 4-6 Commercial Road, Gloucester, GL1 2AE, or telephone: 01452 328004.

If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice you can contact the council’s Data Protection Officer, via the Information Management Service, by emailing informationsecurity@gloucestershire.gov.uk or by calling  01452 324000.

For further information please contact Educational Psychology Service: Tel: 01452 328004.

Making a complaint to the Information Commissioner

If you wish to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office about how we use your personal data, you can contact them by visiting their website at https://ico.org.uk/ or by calling 0303 123 1113.                                                                           

I have read the Privacy Notice I received with this form, and I will keep a copy for reference.

I give consent for the processing of my/my child’s personal data in accordance with Gloucestershire County Council’s GDPR Privacy Notice



Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.