Preparing for adulthood
View more detail on the 4 areas in the sections below.
Growing up and becoming an adult is known as Preparing for Adulthood or PfA for short. There are 4 areas of PfA which are important for everyone growing up. These are:
- Education, training and employment
- Independent living
- Having friends and being part of your community
- Keeping healthy
The Local Offer has more information on Preparing for Adulthood and what to expect.
If you’re thinking about where you might move to when you become an Adult, it could be helpful in the first instance to speak with your District Council about your options:
- Housing | Cheltenham Borough Council
- Housing advice - Cotswold District Council
- Homelessness support and advice - Forest of Dean District Council
- Housing - Gloucester City Council
- Housing advice | Stroud District Council
- Housing — Tewkesbury Borough Council
No Place Like Home
The National Preparing for Adulthood scheme has developed a No Place Like Home Guide (preparingforadulthood.org.uk). On this webpage you will find a link to a housing and support booklet to help you find the right home for you, that will meet your needs.
Gloucestershire Homeseeker is the online portal to apply for social housing
National Autistic Society
The National Autistic Society have developed some resources on transition planning for young people which includes looking at housing options: Making decisions - a guide for young people (autism.org.uk)