Intensive support fostering
“We’ve had really good support as part of the team. They’ve been great. Often the children aren’t currently going to school and you really need that support.” Maria and Julian
Our intensive support foster carers look after some of the most complex children in Gloucestershire. In partnership with other professionals, these foster carers support high risk, vulnerable children to achieve stability so that they can return home or settle in general foster care.
These are children who have experienced significant trauma in their young lives and need extraordinary foster carers with commitment, empathy and resilience.
You’ll use therapeutic methods to help them through a crisis and work with them to develop a stable, permanent arrangement for their future.
This is a challenging role but you won’t be alone. You’ll work with a dedicated team of professionals, including health and social care staff, family support workers, youth justice and mental health professionals.
This kind of fostering would suit a couple, one of whom would be the full-time carer. Single applicants with a strong support network will also be considered.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- Proven experience of working alongside children with complex needs, ideally as a foster carer or possibly in social care, health, education, in a residential setting or in youth justice
- The capacity to be available to a child or young person at any given time (any other children in your household should be over 12)
- Knowledge of attachment, emotional well-being and therapeutic parenting
- Knowledge of risk-taking behaviour, self harm and substance misuse
- The ability to be flexible
- A spare room in your home
- The ability to work as part of a team
- A commitment to supervision and to receiving support
- A commitment to training and development
- Basic IT skills
- A driver’s licence or a commitment to learning to drive
- A generous financial package that includes a weekly retainer plus an age-related fostering allowance
- Out of hours support
- A team of professionals working alongside you, including specialist mental health support
- Regular supervision and training opportunities to increase your skills
- Being valued as part of an integrated team that makes a difference to children and young people
Find out more:
If you feel you have the experience and passion to be part of this exciting, creative service, contact us:
- Call 01242 532654 for an informal discussion
- Fill in an online enquiry form
- Send us an email (please include your telephone number)
Please note: we aim to fast track applications from anyone with previous experience of fostering or with particularly relevant skills.