Short-term Emergency Placements Scheme (STEPS)
The Short-term Emergency Placement Scheme (STEPS) provides emergency foster placements for children and young people who need to be looked after either due to a crisis at home or a breakdown in their current foster placement.
This scheme is for children and young people aged 0 to 18 years, either gender, for a duration of up to 28 days.
A STEPS placement will provide some stability whilst planning for the next foster placement or a return home.
You will need
- A spare room in your home large enough to accommodate a bed and storage like a chest of drawers and/or cupboard
- Personal or professional experience of working directly with, or caring for, children and young people, for example as a parent or foster carer or in education, social work or youth work
- The ability to manage in a crisis and think on your feet
- Good organisational skills
- The ability to accept a same day placement
- A weekly fee of £171.22, plus an age-related allowance that covers all the costs of caring for a child
- A bonus of £150 if you keep the child until the end of the 28 period
- Ongoing training programme to support you in your role
- Specialised support from your own Fostering Social Worker and a Family Support Worker
- Out of hours emergency support
- A dedicated support group of other STEPS foster carers
Find out more
- Call 01242 532654 for an informal discussion
- Fill in an online enquiry form
- Send us an email (please include your telephone number)
Please note: we aim to fast track applications from anyone with previous experience of fostering or with particularly relevant skills