Did you know that many fires in the county start in the kitchen, cooking being a primary reason.
A lot of these fires would have been preventable by following these simple safety tips:-
- Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.
- Take care when cooking with oil - it sets alight easily. If it starts to smoke it's too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
- Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach.
- Don't leave pans on the hob when you're not around - take them off the heat if you have to leave the kitchen, even if you think it will only be for a moment.
- Keep electrical leads, tea towels and cloths away from the cooker.
- Don't cook if you are under the influence of alcohol.