What you need to know about GSCP Safeguarding Children Training Courses
1. Which Safeguarding training is right for me?
Professionals and practitioners who work with children, young people and their families either directly or indirectly, need to ensure they access the appropriate safeguarding training. Training Pathways are defined by your organisation and based on your role and responsibility.
To assist you in identifying your training Group / Level, please read: What Group matches your role & responsibilities?
Once you have identified the Group to which you belong, you can establish the appropriate training pathway by reading: What Safeguarding Training should I be doing?
For further information, on the ‘Right Course’ for you, please refer to your own organisation
2. Which Child Protection Training Course should I attend?
- If you work with children, young people and their families as a practitioner, a manager, registered childminder and / or have a Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) role, you must attend the gateway Child Protection Inter-Agency (CPIA)
(A pre-requisite is to complete a single agency (level 2) training or e-learning (level 2) course.
- The CPIA course has been updated, it is delivered as an on-line (tutor led) 3 ½ hour session. There are pre-reading and skills tests to complete prior to this course - set out in the CPIA Handbook. This handbook can be used as a convenient reference document after you have attended the on-line training.
- If you have previously attended Child Protection Inter-Agency and need to refresh your training, we suggest you also attend the current, updated Child Protection Inter-Agency (CPIA) and complete the pre-reading and skills test in the CPIA Handbook.
- You will need to refresh your Child Protection Inter-Agency within 3 years.
- However, if you work within an Education setting as the DSL or DDSL or you are a registered childminder you must refresh this training within 2 years.
- GSCP Training is developing a Curriculum of on-line core courses. The curriculum will mirror many of our previous face to face training courses delivered prior to covid-19, with new courses added to reflect current themes.
Child Neglect, Child Exploitation including CSE, CCE and Missing
Domestic Abuse – Impact on Children, Child Sexual Abuse, Child Protection Conferences & Core Group, Curious Conversations, and many more.
Please continue to browse the portal.
- The GSCP Training will require all members to complete 10 hours of Continual Professional Development each year.
Practitioners can select from the curriculum any of the on-line courses or e-learning courses available.
Any Webinars, pre-reading and skills tasks, or practice events, will also contribute to participants CPD. All courses completed via the MeLearning Portal will be held on the system under the participants registration details, to evidence on-going CPD.
- For more details on - How to Book on GSCP Courses see below.
Child Protection Inter-Agency (CPIA ) Training: Saturday Sessions
Would you like to attend the CPIA Level 3 interactive training on a Saturday? We are compiling a waiting list in order to run future Saturday dates, so please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
if you wish to register your interest.
3. How do I book training for Early Years Staff and Childminding Assistants who are not Designated Safeguarding Leads?
All Early Years staff working with the under 5's, nursery staff, day care settings, and childminder assistants can access the GSCP e-learning courses. They replace the previous (level 2) single agency face to face training.
These courses have been funded for all Early Years staff, by Gloucestershire County Council (Early Years Dept.).
EY’s staff new in post, please follow the links to Safeguarding Children in Education (level 1) this is a 120 minute e-learning course with a certificate for successful completion.
EYs staff, childminding assistants and those who need a basic safeguarding children course and have completed Level 1, please follow the links to the next level, Safeguarding Children (Level 2).
(This course replaces the level 2 - face to face single agency training)
All new registered childminders should complete the Level 1 & 2 e-learning course as a pre-requisite to attending the (DSL) Child Protection Inter-Agency ( Group / Level 3 ).
4. How do I book on Safeguarding training courses?
To access our library of GSCP training, please follow the link to the portal: https://gsce.melearning.university/course_centre
(This training is supported by MeLearning)
N.B. We are currently unable to provide any face to face training at this time, due to Covid-19
5. How are places on GSCP courses funded and charged?
The GSCP training has a funding and pricing structure, please read this information carefully:
- Centrally funded (statutory agencies – contributors to GSCP)
Health (NHS), Police, CAFCASS, Probation, GCC Children & Adult Services, Prospects. All staff who’s agency has enrolled onto the GSCP training portal, can book on without an upfront fee as their places are funded centrally.
- Traded services (Education settings)
All staff in Schools, Colleges and Education settings brought into GSEP Traded Services can book on without an upfront fee as their places have been funded.
- Early Years (Early Years funded places)
All staff who work in Early Years including Registered Childminders and their Assistants and staff who are Early Years DSL’s and DDSL’s; can book on without an upfront fee as their places are funded by Gloucestershire County Council.
- Non- traded services (Education settings –NOT brought into Traded Services).
Courses will be invoiced retrospectively – membership fee’s and further details can be obtained from the GSCP Training Team.
- PVI – non funded (Private Voluntary and Independent sector)
Courses will be invoiced retrospectively – membership fees and further details can be obtained from the GSCP Training Team.
N.B: Please check to see if your agency has been enrolled onto the new system, if your agency or organisation has not been enrolled you will NOT be able to access the courses after registration.
6. Are there any cancellation charges?
Cancellation Policy and Charges
All staff will incur a cancellation charge to their organisation if they do not comply with the cancellation policy:
If we receive less than 10 days notice of cancellation prior to the start of any course or there is a no show on the day, full fees will be applied without exception.
7. What are the booking conditions?
- We offer a maximum of 25 delegates per course.
- All bookings can only be made via the on-line training portal (MeLearning)
- For any special requirements - please inform the training team a minimum of one week prior to the on-line training
- Staff unable to attend the course due to an emergency or sickness will still receive a cancellation fee. This fee will constitute the course rate and will only be waived in exceptional circumstances.
If the above 'need to know' information does not answer your questions, please contact the GSCP Training Team: email@example.com
8. What are the GSCP Minimum Standards for delivery of multi-agency training?
Please see attached the GSCP Minimum Standards Checklist