Paying for your Social Care

From October 2023, changes to Adult Social Care will affect financial assessment and how much you have to pay for your care.  There is more information about what will change and how this will affect you on the Department of Health and Social Care website.

We will update this webpage and our paying for your care booklet closer to the time.

Consider making a lasting power of attorney (LPA)

A lasting power of attorney (LPA) is a legal document that lets you appoint someone (your ‘attorney’) to help you make decisions or to make decisions on your behalf if you become unable to do so. This gives you more control over what happens to you in the future. Making an LPA can avoid delays in making decisions for you in the future and may also make things easier for your family.

There are two types of LPA. You can make one type or both.

  • A health and welfare LPA gives your attorney the power to make decisions about your daily routine (such as washing, dressing, eating), your medical care, moving into a care home or life-sustaining treatment. This LPA can only be used if you lose mental capacity to make this kind of decision for yourself.
  • A property and financial affairs LPA can be used with your permission as soon as it is registered. It gives your attorney the power to make decisions about money and property for you, for example managing your bank account or building society account, paying your bills, collecting your benefits or pension, selling your home.

Both types have to be registered before they can be used. There is a fee for registering each LPA but you may be eligible for a reduction or exemption.

See the GOV.UK website for more information about making an LPA and about fees, reductions and exemptions.

Page updated: 09/05/2022 Page updated by: Gloucestershire County Council

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.