Paying for your Social Care

From October 2023, changes to Adult Social Care will affect financial assessment and how much you have to pay for your care.  There is more information about what will change and how this will affect you on the Department of Health and Social Care website.

We will update this webpage and our paying for your care booklet closer to the time.

Paying your care charges

Charging starts on the day your care and support begins. Please set money aside to pay for your care from this date.

If you move into permanent residential care, your care home will invoice you directly for your assessed contribution (determined by your financial assessment):

  • You pay your assessed contribution to the care home as agreed with them.
  • The council will pay its agreed share of the cost to the care home.
  • Anyone paying a top up will pay the top up as agreed in the top up agreement with the council.

The care home will notify the council if you don’t pay your charges. We will invoice you for any unpaid charges and for your ongoing contributions. 

For non-residential care, the council will invoice you in arrears every four weeks.

Our preferred method of payment is direct debit. It is also the easiest way to pay for your care.  A direct debit is an instruction from you to your bank. It authorises the council to collect the invoiced amount from your account. We will send your invoice at least ten days before the collection date so you can contact us if you need to query anything. You can cancel a direct debit at any time, but please discuss with us first.

Other payment methods, such as payment by debit card, are available if you are unable to pay by direct debit.

If you have direct payments, you must pay the amount agreed in your direct payment agreement into your direct payments Payment Card Account every month.

What happens if you don’t pay

Please tell us straight away if you are having difficulty paying for your care and support. We will review your circumstances and check that your charges are correct.

The collection of contributions is vital to enable the council to maintain and develop our Adult Social Care services for people living in Gloucestershire. If you don’t pay your care charges, we will take any necessary action to recover unpaid charges. We will:

  • send you reminders and final demand letters to give you opportunity to pay
  • refer your debt to our debt recovery team if you don’t pay and can’t provide a good reason for non-payment within 60 days. The debt recovery team will contact you to find out the reason for non-payment and to discuss appropriate options to bring your account up to date.

We may take legal proceedings if other attempts to recover charges fail. This may mean that you have to pay legal costs in addition to outstanding care charges.

If you have direct payments and you don’t pay the agreed amount into your Payment Card Account, we may suspend or stop your direct payments and meet your needs in another way.

Fraud, deprivation of assets and misuse of taxpayer funds

The council has a legal duty to protect and prevent misuse of taxpayer funds.

We investigate all concerns about fraud, including fraud against other public bodies such as the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), and H.M. Revenue and Customs (HMRC).  Our investigations may result in criminal prosecution and / or sharing information with other bodies.

Some people try to reduce or avoid paying care costs by:

  • giving false or incomplete information during their financial assessment, or
  • deliberately giving away savings, income or assets, or
  • selling them for less than their true value.

This is known as ‘deprivation of assets’. If we have reason to believe that someone is trying to avoid or reduce their care costs in this way, we may:

  • use the true value of the asset / income in their financial assessment as if they still owned it and calculate their contribution accordingly
  • take action to recover lost chargeable income from the person to whom the asset or income was transferred.
Page updated: 09/05/2022 Page updated by: Gloucestershire County Council

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.