Paying for your Social Care

From October 2023, changes to Adult Social Care will affect financial assessment and how much you have to pay for your care.  There is more information about what will change and how this will affect you on the Department of Health and Social Care website.

We will update this webpage and our paying for your care booklet closer to the time.

Self funding your own care

Arranging your care

Most people assessed as able to pay for the full cost of their care make their own care arrangements as there is no need for council involvement. 

Non-residential care: You can ask the council to arrange your care for you if our Adult Social Care service has confirmed that you have eligible needs for non-residential care. You will still have to pay the full cost of your care and the council may charge a fee for this service. Our usual charging, payment arrangements and debt recovery processes apply if you wish us to continue to monitor arrangements for you after making the initial arrangements.

Care homes: If you have eligible needs for care in a care home, the council will not make arrangements on your behalf without good reason, for example if you lack capacity and have no legally appointed representative.

Care homes may charge different rates for people who are self-funding compared to those who are part-funded by the council. When choosing a care home, you should consider whether the care home will accept council rates if you are unable to continue to self fund your own care.

If you are thinking of moving into a care home in another county, it is a good idea to contact the local authority for that area before you move. They will be able to tell you what support they can offer if you run out of funds.

What to do when your funds are running low

Please contact the Adult Helpdesk about three months before your funds drop to £23,250. The council’s online calculators can help you track this.

Tell the Helpdesk that you are paying for your own care but are running out of funds. Ask for a care needs assessment. If we determine that you have eligible needs for care and support under the Care Act, we will ask you to have a financial assessment.  

The council will help to fund your care if:

  • your needs are eligible under the Care Act and
  • your financial assessment confirms that you are entitled to financial support through the council.

If you qualify for financial help through the council, we can only help from the day on which your funds fall below £23,250 or the day you contact us (whichever is the later).

The council will only help to pay for what is necessary for the level of care that you need. This may not be the same as the care you have arranged and funded for yourself. For example, if you are living in a care home that costs more than is necessary to meet your needs, you may have to consider moving unless someone else is able to pay a top up for your care. Please see the council’s Your Circle top ups webpage for more details.

Page updated: 09/05/2022 Page updated by: Gloucestershire County Council

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.