Skip to content

Paying for your Social Care

From October 2023, changes to Adult Social Care will affect financial assessment and how much you have to pay for your care.  There is more information about what will change and how this will affect you on the Department of Health and Social Care website.

Adult Social Care Paying for your Care booklet

We will update this webpage closer to the time.

What you won’t have to pay for

Regardless of your financial circumstances, there are some services that you do not have to pay for. 

Adult Social Care services which are provided free of charge

You do not have to pay for these services from the council:

  • information and advice
  • assessing or re-assessing your care and support needs, helping you to plan your care, reviewing your plan
  • your financial assessment, re-assessment or advice from the FAB Team.
  • meeting the eligible needs of carers. This includes carers of adults who are self-funding their own care.

Exceptions to charges for care and support 

We will not charge you for your care and support if you:

  • have Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease, or
  • are aged 18 or 19, still in full-time education and your parents still receive child benefit for you.

We will not charge you for:

  • community equipment. This means aids or minor adaptations (costing £1,000 or less) to your home to help you be safer and more independent.
  • after-care provided under S117 of the Mental Health Act when you leave hospital. While you are receiving S117 after-care, we won’t charge for care and support arranged under the Care Act. You will have to pay for care and support if you still need it when your S117 after-care is withdrawn.
  • a time limited period of intermediate care. This is short term, intensive support to help you maintain or regain your independence as quickly as possible. It may be provided:
    • to prevent you being unnecessarily admitted to hospital
    • as a ‘home first service’ when you are discharged from hospital if you need care and support while you recover or while any longer term needs are assessed
    • as ‘reablement support’ to help you relearn or regain your ability to carry out daily living tasks to prevent, reduce or delay needs for care and support.
  • Most people only need intermediate care for about 1 or 2 weeks but if necessary it can continue free of charge for up to six weeks. Intermediate care will stop when assessment confirms that:
    • you have achieved your goals, or
    • you are unable to make more progress, or
    • you need ongoing health and / or social care support.

You will have to pay for any care and support that you need when your intermediate care period ends.

Non means tested NHS funded care

The council will not charge you for any care and support which the NHS has a duty to provide.

Some people with severe, primarily health related needs may be eligible for funded care through the NHS.

If you have long-term complex health needs, you may qualify for NHS Continuing Healthcare (CHC).  This is free social care arranged and funded by the NHS.

CHC can be provided in a variety of settings outside hospital, including in a care home or in your own home.

Eligibility depends on assessed needs not on any particular diagnosis or condition.  Needs are assessed by a multi-disciplinary team which usually involves both health and social care assessors. Then an NHS Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) makes the eligibility decision. Eligibility may change if your needs change.

You may be eligible for NHS-funded nursing care (FNC) if:

  • you live in a care home that provides nursing care and
  • you're not eligible for CHC but have been assessed as needing care from a registered nurse.

If you are eligible, the NHS will pay a flat rate towards the cost of your nursing care directly to the care home.  You will still have to pay your means tested contribution (determined by your financial assessment) towards the cost of your care and support.

Page updated: 11/07/2022 Page updated by: Gloucestershire County Council

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.