Skip to content

Paying for your Social Care

From October 2023, changes to Adult Social Care will affect financial assessment and how much you have to pay for your care.  There is more information about what will change and how this will affect you on the Department of Health and Social Care website.

Adult Social Care Paying for your Care booklet

We will update this webpage closer to the time.

Your financial Assessment

Consent to financial assessment

We will ask you to sign a form to agree to or decline to have a financial assessment when:

  • the council has agreed to provide or arrange your care and support (including when you have a direct payment - see the council’s direct payments webpage), and
  • there is a charge for meeting your needs.

Please sign and return the consent form to us within four weeks. When we receive your consent, a Visiting Officer from our Financial Assessment and Benefits Team (the FAB Team) will contact you to arrange a day and time that suits you.

We will determine that you are willing to pay for the full cost of your care and support if: 

  • you don’t wish to have a financial assessment (for example if you know that you won’t qualify for financial support), or
  • you don’t return the consent form to us within four weeks and there is no good reason for the delay.

You can still request a financial assessment if you change your mind or your circumstances change. We will assess your ability to pay for care and support from when you provide consent.

Consent for someone else to manage your financial assessment or care payments for you

When we ask for your consent to have a financial assessment, we will also ask if you have someone who manages your money for you or if there is someone you would like to deal with your financial assessment for you.  If you do, we will ask you to sign a consent form to allow us to contact them directly.  Often this person is a family member.

You remain legally responsible for paying for your care and support unless the person managing your money is your ‘legally appointed representative’. This means someone who:

  • holds a registered power of attorney which authorises them to make financial decisions for you, or
  • is a Deputy appointed by the Court of Protection.

We will want to see evidence of authority if the person managing your money / payments is your legally appointed representative or is a Department for Work and Pensions Appointee (someone authorised by the DWP to deal with your benefits). 

Your financial assessment

We use your financial assessment to determine the maximum weekly amount you will be expected to pay for your care and support. 

We will ask you to provide proof of your financial situation, for example bank statements,  evidence of your costs.  If you don’t supply this within four weeks and there is no good reason for the delay, we may determine that you are willing to pay for the full cost of your care and support until you supply the information we need.

The FAB team will also check that you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to. We will explain how to claim any you haven’t applied for.

Financial assessments differ slightly depending on the type of care and support that you need. The information below applies to all financial assessments. Please also read the sections that apply if you need:

We take both capital and income into account in your financial assessment. The assessment is only about your capital and your income.  We won’t include income or capital that belongs to your partner or anyone else in your household.  If you have joint income or joint capital, we will only count your share.

Your capital includes assets and savings such as:

  • cash, bank, building society and savings accounts
  • investments, stocks and shares
  • savings certificates or bonds
  • property, buildings or land that you own or have a share in.

We do not include the value of personal possessions such as furniture or jewellery.

Your income:  We do not take into account earnings from work or the mobility element of Personal Independence Payments or Disability Living Allowance but we do include other income, such as:

  • state and private pensions
  • dividends and interest as well as funds you receive from other sources such as trusts or benefits
  • state benefits such as Pension Credit, Income Support, Attendance Allowance (AA), Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Personal Independence Payments (PIP). We count entitlement in your assessment even if you don’t claim as this income is available to you on application.
  • rents from property or land.

If the value of your capital is between £14,250 and £23,250 (not counting your home), we apply a formula to the value to calculate a weekly figure for charging purposes. This is called ‘tariff income’. It is included as income in your assessment. 

Your costs: We take certain costs into account before we decide how much you can afford to pay for your care, such as:

  • mortgage payments
  • rent payments that are not met by housing benefit
  • council tax that is not met by council tax benefit
  • home and buildings insurance
  • disability related expenditure not met from other sources. These are additional costs that you incur as a result of a disability or a long term health condition.

The result of your financial assessment 

We will write to you when we have completed your financial assessment. Our letter will confirm the maximum weekly amount you will be expected to pay towards your care and the date you have to pay from.

As a general guide, if your capital or savings are:

  • £23,250 or less - you are likely to have to pay something towards the total cost of your care and the council will fund the balance.
  • more than £23,250, you will not be eligible for help from the council to pay care costs until your resources fall below £23,250. Please see the self-funding your own care

What to do if you think we have made a mistake

If you think we have miscalculated your assessment or you forgot to tell us about something, please:

  • tell the Visiting Officer who completed your assessment, or
  • ask to speak to the Senior Visiting Officer instead.

You can also ask us to review your financial assessment. The review will be carried out by a different Visiting Officer.

If you are still dissatisfied after the review, you can use our Adult Social Care complaints procedure.  We will help you to use it if you need help.

Page updated: 11/07/2022 Page updated by: Gloucestershire County Council

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.