Skip to content

Short-term support for independent living

We know most people are happier living in their own homes, and we want to provide you with support and choices to allow you to do so. One of the options available to you is 'Reablement'. This provides free short term support for up to 6 weeks to help get you back to independent living.

We can offer this support following:

  • a period of ill health
  • a hospital stay
  • a residential care stay
  • or a fall or accident

What if I still need help afterwards?

If you still need ongoing support afterwards we can offer you other options. For more information about receiving a care assessment and what options would be available to you please read our long term care and support page. You are also able to buy your own support in away that suits you and gives you greater control of how your needs may be met.

More Information

For more information about Reablement support contact Adult Social Care.

Other services that can assist you to stay living safely and independently at home include:

Occupational therapists work in a broad range of organisations: the NHS, Local Authority social care services, housing, schools, prisons, voluntary and independent sectors, occupational health and vocational and employment rehabilitation services.

The main purpose of occupational therapy is to promote health and well-being through occupation or the ‘doing’ of an activity. Occupational therapists will look at all occupations that make up your day, 24/7, including working, caring for yourself and others, learning, relationships and leisure activities. There are many factors which can affect your daily life and make it difficult to participate in things you want to, including:

  • ageing;
  • ill health;
  • disability; and
  • barriers to the environment.

Occupational Therapists will work with you to help you live as independently and safely as possible looking at a range of ways to do this, including:

  • teaching and practicing different techniques
  • providing equipment on loan; and
  • referring on for minor and major adaptations.

If you want further information about how to purchase equipment, aids or adaptations for your home please visit our Adapting your home section.

Requesting an Assessment

If you, or a member of your family, are having difficulties with day to day living within your home due to a physical disability, sensory impairment or old age, you can request an occupational therapy assessment of your needs and to identify what is most important to you. Contact the Adult Helpdesk on 01452 426868 to find out how we can help you and to request an assessment.

Services and support are available for older people in Gloucestershire

Where can you find out about services available?

There are a wide range of facilities you can access in your local community through your nearest Extra Care Housing centres. Have a look at our map to find out where these centres are and take a look at our short video to see the kinds of services you can take advantage of.

Gloucestershire Care and Support Guide

This guide has been produced to help people in Gloucestershire like you to find out about the services which are available in our area, and which could help you to live happily and safely at home for as long as possible.

Here you will find lots of options to look at, whatever your individual needs may be, along with information and advice which will help you to make the right decisions for you.

View the Care and Support Guide online or speak to Adult Social Care to request a copy.

Your Circle

Your Circle is a website with information, advice and support to help you, or someone you look after, stay independent, safe and well.

It has lots of information about local groups, societies, clubs, and services in Gloucestershire.

It can help connect you with places and activities in your community, and navigate health and care options.

Your Circle is run by Gloucestershire County Council with support from statutory, health, social care and community sector partners across the county.

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.