Money and legal matters

Find out about your financial entitlements as a carer and how you stand on helping someone with their affairs.

Am I entitled to any financial support as a carer?

There is a range of benefits, tax credits and other financial support that you may be able to receive as a carer, including carer's allowance.
Further information is available on the Carers UK website

What about financial support for the person I care for?

There are various benefits that the person needing care may be entitled to.
See the following information on the GOV.UK website

What should I do if I think that the person I look after is losing the ability to make decisions or manage their financial affairs?

The Mental Capacity Act (MCA) protects your money, health and welfare, if you can't make all your own decisions.

Gloucestershire County Council's Mental Capacity Act webpage has information on the Act and how it affects carers

Is there anywhere locally where I can obtain help and advice on money and legal matters?

The Gloucestershire Carers Hub’. have advisors who can give free individual information and advice. You can contact them by telephone on 0300 111 9000 or email them at

Citizens Advice also offers free, impartial advice. Go to their website to find the nearest bureau.

Alternatively, contact The Care Advice Line on 01452 22 22 00 for independent information and advice on the financial aspects of care and support and access to further specialist financial advice.

Help us improve Gloucestershire County Council

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.