The carers emergency scheme
Am I eligible for the service?
If you are a carer aged 16 and above andprovide care and/or support for a family member, friend, relative or disabled child, youcan apply for the service.
What does the service include?
- Level One. If you are registered on this level, and you are unable to look after the person you care for because you are involved in an emergency situation, the Carers Emergency Scheme will get in touch with your nominated contact person (such as a friend, family member or neighbour). They will then check on the person you care for, to make sure they are safe while you deal with the emergency.
- Level Two. If you are registered on this level, and you are unable to look after the person you care for because you are involved in an emergency situation, the Carers Emergency Scheme will provide replacement professional care for up to 48 hours (72 hours during a Bank Holiday or weekend). This level of support is suitable for people looking after someone with high care needs.
How do I register on the Carers Emergency Scheme?
- For Level One, you need to contact Carers Gloucestershire on 0300 111 9000 to nominate your two contact people. An Advice Worker will go through the details required and will enrol you on the scheme.
- For Level Two, you need to contact Carers Gloucestershire on 0300 111 9000. To enrol on this level, you need to have a carers assessment of your needs as a carer.
What happens next?
- Following an assessment where Carers Emergency Scheme is identified as appropriate support, Carers Gloucester will work together with Guideposts Trust, who will arrange registration onto the scheme, including drawing up your emergency plan.
- Guideposts Trust will send youa registration card, which shows your unique registration number, and the telephone number you need to activate the scheme.
- If you are registered on Level Two of the scheme, Guideposts will also send you a registration pack, which contains all the information you need to know.
What are the benefits of being registered on the scheme?
- You will have plans in place in case anything happens to you
- You will have 24 hour a day emergency cover
- You will have peace of mind