Family Group Conference
A Family Group Conference (FGC) brings together family and friends to make decisions and plans for the care, protection and support of a child or young person in your family.
All families have problems from time to time. When things are difficult, people who are important to you may be able to help. A Family Group Conference (FGC) gives you a chance to get together with close family and friends to come up with a plan to make things better.
A Family Group Conference is a voluntary meeting; it is your meeting and your choice. You can choose not to have the meeting at any time.
How does a Family Group Conference Work?
Someone called a Coordinator will meet with you to talk about how things are for you. The coordinator will talk to you about:
- How you would like to take part in the FGC (and if you would like to talk to someone who can help you say the things you want in the meeting?)
- Who you would like at the FGC?
- When/where is a good place and time to have the FGC?
- Food and drink you would like at the FGC?
What you tell us is confidential. We don’t discuss anything you tell us without your permission unless there is a risk to a child or vulnerable adult.
What will happen at the Family Group Conference?
The FGC will happen in 3 parts:
- The first part is called Information Sharing. This is where the group can talk about what is going well and what could be better. In this part of the meeting you get the information you need to make your plan and to ask questions of the people who can help you. It is also the part where the children’s views are shared.
- The second part of the meeting is called Private Family Time. This is where the people in your family and friends network are given time to talk and come up with your plan to make things better. You can have a break when you want. You and your family can take as much time as you need.
- The third part of the FGC is called Checking the Plan. This is where your family and friends network share your plan with the referrer and Coordinator to make sure everyone understands the plan and that it will make things better.
What Happens Next?
After the meeting the Coordinator will make sure everyone invited to the meeting gets a copy of the plan. If you want a Review FGC you can all get together again to talk about what has worked well and what needs changing.
To access a Family Group Conference a lead professional will need to complete a referral which will need to be sent to the FGC Team.
How to contact