Learning disability week
Every June, we celebrate people overcoming adversity, and people's prejudice and ignorance to experience their incredible firsts.
The Learning Disability Partnership Board is proud to support Learning Disability Awareness which happens every year in June.
Many events are scheduled to raise awareness of Learning Disabilities and services to support those with Learning Disabilities in Gloucestershire.
Events will take place across the county and have all been part of joint effort between partner organisations including Gloucestershire County Council, 2gether Gloucestershire NHS Foundation Trust, Gloucestershire Clinical Commissioning Group NHS Trust.
For more information please call Neryl Bice on 01452 32 8368
(or Simon Shorrick - Health Facilitation Team, 2gether Trust - 0800 0193346)
Learning Disability Week 2019's National Theme is “Sport and Inclusion in the Community”. Below is just some information on local events running during Learning Disability week:
- Hospital Liaison Nurses – Bev and Carol are holding Hospital Experience Sessions for people with learning disabilities – Wednesday 19th June, Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, Redwood Education Centre, See the attached flyer or call Bev or Carol on: 0300 422 4953 or 0300 422 4985 for more information.
- Inclusion Gloucestershire have organised two free fitness taster sessions taking place in the Gloucester Inclusion Hub, Friends Meeting House, Greyfriars, Gloucester, GL1 1UA. For more information, call: 01452 234003
Wednesday 19th June - Allsorts Fitness taster session from 11.30am to 12.30pm
Friday 21st June - GFitness taster session from 11.30am to 12.30pm.
- Longlevens Mixed Rugby – Inclusive for those with a learning disability – Wednesday 19th June. 6:30 – 8pm, Longlevens Rugby Club. They also play every other Thursday from 20th June at the Rugby club. Call 07724 773238 for more details.
- Boccia from Cotswold Crusaders – Special Olympics Club Hub – Vis it and have a go, Friday 21st June. 5:30– 7pm at Leisure @ Cheltenham, More information here.
- Beam Gymnastics – Accessible Gymnastics club supporting children with additional emotional, physical, behavioural and sensory challenges. Tuesday 18th June (Cirencester) and Wednesday 19th June (Fairford). Call: 07780 506650 or email: email@example.com for more details.
- Taurus Crafts - The vocal talents of the Wye Valley and Forest of Dean will be on display for all to hear at Taurus Crafts ‘Midsummer Song’ event. Now in its third year the event features a diverse range of local choirs and singing groups. Sunday 23rd June - for more information - read their newsletter here:
- Kingfisher Treasure Seekers - Join them for Chuckaboos, Coffee Mornings, Disco, Make and Take, Performing Arts and Church. For a full list of their activities, click here.
- MENCAP - Check out this link https://www.mencap.org.uk/get-involved/learning-disability-week-2019 for a national list of events