Great Western Court residential bed based reablement unit
Great Western Court is a residential bed based reablement unit, under the ownership of Gloucestershire County Council. Great Western Court (GWC) is registered with the Care Quality Commission to perform the following function:
We offer a reablement service to people assessed by members of the multidisciplinary team who are likely to benefit from an intensive period of reablement. People using the beds have no acute medical needs but do have specific person centred physiotherapy and occupational therapy led goals to assist in recovery. Staff work with individuals to promote independence and a safe return home, e.g. improvement in walking, ability to care for themselves or increase confidence. Equipment, aids and assistance from GWC are provided with these aims in mind. There is no charge for this service, it is available for up to a maximum of six weeks, usually sooner, in consultation with the multidisciplinary team.
On admission and throughout their stay individuals are fully involved in their reablement programme, they are expected to participate in activities and opportunities to maximise their potential e.g. practise with personal care, meal preparation, gait and balance exercises. Individual progression is monitored and reviewed regularly and recommendations are discussed with the individual, family and carers.
Admissions to Great Western Court are made only via a referral system in conjunction with Hospitals, GP’s and Community Professionals.
Use the buttons below to see more information about Great Western Court.
Facilities and Services at Great Western Court
- Individuals provide their own toiletries and personal clothing
- Individuals may bring their own personal electrical items provided they are used with due consideration to other residents and comply with PAT testing on site
- Individuals make their own arrangements for laundry of personal items as this cannot be undertaken by GWC except in exceptional circumstances and by prior arrangement.
- All meals are included and freshly prepared on site with a selection of menu choices. Specific dietary requirements are catered for upon request.
- All rooms are non-smoking, single occupancy. Some have en-suite facilities. All rooms are accommodated with profiling beds.. GWC will try to honour specific requirements made prior to admission, but, in the interest of health and safety, this may not always be possible.
- All rooms contain resident information packs that detail how to raise a compliment or complaint of our service, alongside local and national information and literature of interest.
- A hairdresser visits weekly, this service is charged directly to the Individual and not inclusive within GWC service.
- Chiropody, dentist and optician appointments are to be made by the Individual or a family member. GWC staff can help you to make the appointment if necessary.
- We recommend that you do not bring valuable items to GWC and that all monies are receipted and deposited within the office safe.
- A Local Newspaper is bought each day and placed in the front entrance for use by all Individual’s. If a specific newspaper is requested then we would respectfully ask that this is bought privately by the Individual’s family or friends.
- You are able to bring in items from home to make your stay more comfortable e.g. A duvet, a television, radio etc.
- Wi-Fi is available on site and we also have an iPad that you are welcome to use during your stay.
- Great Western Court is surrounded by gardens.
- Free parking is available on site for visitors.
- We will try to accommodate and be flexible to each individuals needs.
There is a Registered Manager in place at Great Western Court, a Deputy Manager, 2 Team Leaders, Rehabilitation Officers, Rehabilitation Assistants, Administration Team, Domestic Staff, Kitchen Staff, Gardener / Handyperson and the therapy team is comprised of a Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist and Therapy Assistant. All Staff are DBS checked and complete mandatory training.
Great Western Court works in partnership with other professionals including GP’s and District Nurses.
Great Western Court is covered by the Aspen Centre Medical Practice for medical support. The GP Service is provided as it would be in your own home and medical support is sought on your behalf if there are any new concerns. District Nurse input is given by the Community District Nursing Team.
Prescriptions will be ordered on your behalf whilst you are at Great Western Court and we will complete a discharge summary for your own GP on discharge to ensure a continuation of your medical support.
“All the staff & service I found exceptional, I cannot thank everyone enough”
Comment 2nd June 2017.
“Made to feel very welcome. Staff all very pleasant at all times no matter how busy they were.”
Comment 25th May 2017
“I’ve lived in or near Gloucester for 50 years and was totally unaware of the existence of Great Western Court and the same has been true of my visitor’s. It is an amazing resource. I have been encouraged to do anything of which I felt capable.”
Comment 25th May 2017
“Nothing I say could improve all your services. Thank you to one and all”
Comment 22nd December 2016