Day 1 and Day 2 - Dementia Training
Thursday This is a two-day programme examining the nature and causes of dementia and strategies for working with people living with dementia.
Our dementia training programme is open to all health, social care and wider public services staff in Gloucestershire, including those in the voluntary and independent sector, and people who are caring for a person with dementia.
The content for both training days has recently been updated and now includes an approach to develop person centred care planning for people with dementia who experience behaviours that challenge (Gloucestershire's 5 step approach).
For further information on Dementia Training please call 01452 324306 or email Dementiatraining@gloucestershire.gov.uk
Day One: Essential Dementia Awareness
This covers an introduction to, and analysis of, the nature and causes of dementia. It examines various strategies for working with individuals in these situations. Included in day one is:
- What is dementia
- The role of the brain
- How memory is formed and affected
- Developing communication skills and approaches to support people with dementia
Day Two: Person-Centred Care & Emotional Distress (Behaviours that challenge us)
The second day focuses on Person-Centred Care and the experience of living with dementia. Included in day two is:
- Gloucestershire's 5 Step Approach to Behaviors that Challenge
- Understanding well-being & ill-being
- Considering the experience of living with dementia
- Causes of emotional distress
Preparation for the course
It is advisable that you complete the e-learning course before attending the Two Day Dementia Training Programme.
The e-learning course can be accessed through LearnPro community.
To obtain log in details, please email: Dementiatraining@gloucestershire.gov.uk
Course dates for 2018
Courses in Cheltenham:
- Thursday 21st February & Thursday 7th March 2019 - Spaces available
Courses in Forest of Dean:
- Thursday 24th January & Thursday 7th February 2019 - Fully booked
- Thursday 14th March & Thursday 28th March 2019 - Spaces available
- There is a selection of courses available to people who are caring for a family member with dementia. If you would like some assistance in choosing the course that is right for your needs, please do contact us
- Please try to attend a course in your correct locality
- Course spaces are limited and fill up quickly, early booking is recommended
If you require any further information, please email:
Dementiatraining@gloucestershire.gov.uk, or contact
Gloucestershire County Council
Shire Hall, Block 5, 4th Floor, Westgate Street, Gloucester, GL1 2TG