Day 1 and Day 2 - Dementia Training
This is a two-day programme examining the nature and causes of dementia and strategies for working with people living with dementia.
Our dementia training programme is open to all health, social care and wider public services staff in Gloucestershire, including those in the voluntary and independent sector, and people who are caring for a person with dementia.
The content for both training days has recently been updated and now includes an approach to develop person centred care planning for people with dementia who experience behaviours that challenge (Gloucestershire's 5 step approach).
For further information on Dementia Training please call 01452 324306 or email Dementiatraining@gloucestershire.gov.uk
Day One: Essential Dementia Awareness
This covers an introduction to, and analysis of, the nature and causes of dementia. It examines various strategies for working with individuals in these situations. Included in day one is:
- What is dementia
- The role of the brain
- How memory is formed and affected
- Developing communication skills and approaches to support people with dementia
Day Two: Person-Centred Care & Emotional Distress (Behaviours that challenge us)
The second day focuses on Person-Centred Care and the experience of living with dementia. Included in day two is:
- Gloucestershire's 5 Step Approach to Behaviors that Challenge
- Understanding well-being & ill-being
- Considering the experience of living with dementia
- Causes of emotional distress
Preparation for the course
It is advisable that you complete the e-learning course before attending the Two Day Dementia Training Programme.
The e-learning course can be accessed through kwango.com
To obtain log in details, please email: Dementiatraining@gloucestershire.gov.uk
Course dates for 2018
Courses in Gloucester:
- Tuesday 10th April & Tuesday 24th April - Fully Booked
- Tuesday 22nd May & Tuesday 5th June - Fully Booked
Courses in Stroud:
- Thursday 19th April & Thursday 3rd May - Fully Booked
- Tuesday 19th June & Tuesday 3rd July - Spaces available
Courses in Cheltenham:
- Tuesday 12th June & Tuesday 26th June - Fully Booked
We are in the process of scheduling our courses for the reaminder of the year, you can register your interest for these course by logging in / registering to access the Learning Portal by doing so you will be notified when these courses are available to book.
- There is a selection of courses available to people who are caring for a family member with dementia. If you would like some assistance in choosing the course that is right for your needs, please do contact us
- Please try to attend a course in your correct locality
- Course spaces are limited and fill up quickly, early booking is recommended
If you require any further information, please email:
Dementiatraining@gloucestershire.gov.uk, or contact
Gloucestershire County Council
Shire Hall, Block 5, 4th Floor, Westgate Street, Gloucester, GL1 2TG