Dementia Lead Award
The Gloucestershire Dementia Lead Award
The Gloucestershire Dementia Education Team design and deliver the Gloucestershire Dementia Lead Award to support people in senior roles to lead person-centered practice in their area of work (managers, senior care workers, or others in a senior role) across Gloucestershire.
(to link with the Gloucestershire Dementia Education Team, join the Facebook page; @GloucestershireDementiaEducationTeam)
The Dementia Lead Award involves attendance at a series of workshops and development and delivery of an action plan. The aim of the Award is to equip participants to build their dementia knowledge and skills within an environment which encourages innovation and opportunities to debate and network.
(For more information go to ‘Dementia Lead Information Sheet’ on the ‘Related Documents’ section on this page;)
Key components for completion of the Dementia Lead Award is to evidence the ability to:
- influence and promote person centred practice by identifying where positive change could make a difference to the lives of people living with dementia and taking forward initiatives to make that difference,
- promote positive, strength-based language & challenge negative beliefs and values associated with people living with dementia,
- disseminate knowledge and share information gained on the course,
- support & signpost people with dementia and the people in their lives who support them, to receive information, advice and support services as needed,
- support colleagues to develop person centred care plans.
Associated with the above key components, there is a requirement for participants to develop and deliver on an action plan which outlines a change in practice that will positively impact on the lives of people with dementia.
The content of the Dementia Leads Award is mapped to the;
‘Dementia Core Skills Education and Training Framework’ (2018)
The Dementia Core Skills Education and Training Framework was launched in 2015 and further updated in 2018. The framework sets out the standards needed in dementia education and training, including raising dementia awareness, knowledge and skills for those that have regular contact with people affected by dementia, and knowledge and skills for those in leadership roles.
(Further information about the Dementia Core Skills Education and Training Framework (2018) can be found in the ‘Related Documents’ section on this page).
Having trained Dementia Leads in Gloucestershire aims to:
- Improve & sustain person-centred support and care within Gloucestershire for people with dementia and the people in their lives who support them.
- Support & facilitate the development of individuals wishing to grow their expertise in the field of dementia care and support
- Improve the lives of people with dementia and the people in their lives who support them who access services
The Dementia Lead Award runs alongside the Dementia Link Worker (DLW) Award. There is an expectation that those people completing the Dementia Lead award will encourage colleagues within their organisation to undertake the Gloucestershire Dementia Link Worker Award in order to build a ‘team’ of people within their workforce with ‘Tier 3’ knowledge and skills (as outlined in the Dementia Core Skills Education and Training Framework, 2018). This provides a platform for being considered a dementia specialist organisation.
Please go to ‘Related Documents’ for an application form and information sheet about the Dementia Lead Award.
Updated Autumn 2022