Dementia Link Worker Award
The Gloucestershire Dementia Link Worker (DLW) Award
The Gloucestershire Dementia Education Team design and deliver the Gloucestershire Dementia Link Worker Award to support people working in positions where they are regularly supporting people with dementia.
(to link with the Gloucestershire Dementia Education Team, join the Facebook page; @GloucestershireDementiaEducationTeam)
The DLW Award involves attendance at a series of workshops and completion of a ‘theory to practice form’ evidencing the ability to translate what is learnt in the workshops back in the workplace.
The aim of the DLW Award is to equip participants to build their dementia knowledge and skills within an environment which encourages person centred approaches and recognises the importance of supporting people to meet their psychological & physical needs in the context of changes to the brain.
Key components for completion of the Dementia Link Worker Award is to evidence the ability to:
- challenge negative attitudes and practice,
- disseminate knowledge and share information gained on the course
- support people living with dementia and the people in their lives who support them to receive information, advice and support services as needed.
- support colleagues to develop person centred care plans.
(For more information go to ‘Dementia Link Worker Information Sheet’ on the ‘Related Documents’ section on this page;)
The content of the Dementia Link Worker Award is mapped to the;
‘Dementia Core Skills Education and Training Framework’ (2018)
The Dementia Core Skills Education and Training Framework was launched in 2015 and further updated in 2018. The framework sets out the standards needed in dementia education and training, including raising dementia awareness, knowledge and skills for those that have regular contact with people affected by dementia, and knowledge and skills for those in leadership roles.
(Further information about the Dementia Core Skills Education and Training Framework (2018) can be found in the ‘Related Documents’ section on this page).
Having a network of Dementia Link Workers in Gloucestershire aims to:
- Improve & sustain person-centred support and care within Gloucestershire for people with dementia.
- Support & facilitate the development of individuals wishing to grow as champions in the field of dementia care and support
- Improve the lives of people with dementia, and the people in their lives who support them who access services
The Dementia Link Worker (DLW) Award runs alongside the Dementia Lead Award
Please go to ‘Related Documents’ for an application form and information sheet about the Award.