Vehicle Dropped Kerb


Vehicle Dropped Kerb

A Vehicle Dropped Kerb (VDK), often referred to as a dropped kerb / crossover, provides the legal means to allow you to access your property safely using a car or other domestic vehicle. The Kerbs are dropped from their normal height and the pavement or verge is strengthened to take the weight of the vehicle crossing it to avoid damage to the pavement, pipes or cables buried beneath it.

As Highways Authority those seeking a vehicle crossover must obtain prior agreement from us before arranging for the work to take place. It is advised to contact your District Council Planning Department before you contact us; to find out if you need planning permission to create the vehicle access, as planning permission as well as our agreement may be needed.

It is an offence under S131 of the Highways Act to excavate the highway, including the footway, without our lawful authority. Unauthorised vehicle crossovers will cause the footway to deteriorate and put those using the footway at risk. We take seriously our duty to maintain our highways and protect it from damage.

Our fees have recently been reviewed. The total fee for the application is £300 payable in two parts. The initial £100 is paid with part 1 of the application (this is a non-refundable fee) and a further fee of £200 is payable with part 2. 

Additional site visits are charged at £120 per visit.

Please read the Terms and Conditions and Highway Construction Specification to understand the process and requirements.

The application process

The vehicle crossover application is broken down into a two part application process.

Part 1: 

Site suitability survey – the householder/owner should complete the application form below.

By applying for an application part one you are confirming that you have read and understood our Terms and Conditions.

Application: Part 1

Part 2:

Works and Certification - This part of the process can only be completed once part 1 has been submitted and accepted. This joint application should be completed and signed by both the householder/owner and the contractor.

Please download and complete the statutory undertaker enquiries form as it is required for your application and for your reference. These enquiries should be completed before submitting part 2 of the application.

Application: Part 2

Help us improve Highways

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.