Skip to main content
Your Highways - Report It

Highways Licences, Permits and Permissions

License, Permits and Permission applications are available below for Highways related work.

The online application/renewal form allows for on-line payment. Please note no refund is made for customer cancelled applications where a licence has been issued.

Terms and Guidelines

It is important that you read the relevant Terms and Guidelines for the type of license you require before completing the application form and that you supply all required documentation. Failure to provide all the documentation will delay the application. In some circumstances it may be necessary for us to turn down applications because the proposed site is considered to be potentially hazardous. Your application will not be processed until we have received all of the relevant information.

Application Permission

Applications for permission (excludes Street works applications) are to be submitted at least twelve calendar days before it is required. Additional fees are charged for late/urgent applications. Failure to obtain the necessary permissions may result in enforcement action being taken against you. The time period must be strictly adhered to. If it is likely to be exceeded, and you give more than eight calendar days notice then a renewal licence can be applied for.  

Traffic Management Plan

For some Licences you will need to submit a traffic management plan as part of the application process and a template for one can be found and downloaded here.

Information supplied when you submit your application may be included in any Public Notices issued about the works. If for any reason we need to check any information submitted we may need to contact you for clarification. 

Application Information

The cost of the licences/permissions along with required traffic management plan and links to apply can be found in the below table:

Crane Licence

Highways Occupation Licence

Highways projection Licence

Skip Permit/Licence

Scaffolding and/or Hoarding licence

Minimum period:

1 Day

Charge: £250

Minimum period:

28 Days

Charge: £100

Minimum period:

28 Days

Charge: £100

Minimum period:

28 Days

Charge: £75

Minimum period:

28 Days

Charge: £100

Extension period:

1 Day

Charge: £250

Extension Period:

7 days

Charge: £25 per 7 days

Extension Period:

7 Days

Charge: £25 per 7 days

Extension Period:

7 Days

Charge: £20 per 7 days

Extension Period:

7 Days

Charge: £25 per 7 days

Urgent/Retrospective Fee: £30 Urgent/Retrospective Fee: £30 Urgent/Retrospective Fee: £30 Urgent/Retrospective Fee: £30 Urgent/Retrospective Fee: £30
      Licence Penalty: £100 Licence Penalty: £100




Non-Compliance Penalty: £2,500


  For Building Materials, Cherry Pickers, Mobile Platforms, Porta Cabins & Huts or Scissor Lifts For Banners, Bridges, Canopies, Wires and Signs    
Crane Licence Terms & Conditions Highway Occupation Licence Terms & Conditions Highway Projection Licence Terms & Conditions Skip Permit / Licence Terms & Conditions Scaffolding / Hoarding Licence Terms & Conditions
Traffic management plan required Traffic management plan required Traffic management plan required - Traffic management plan required


To apply online click on the link below.

Licence Application (including renewal)

Online application guidance notes

The form must be completed using the online application form with payment by card being taken at the end of the process.  The form is used to amend the dates of an existing Highways Licence (Crane, Occupation, Projection, Scaffolding and Hoarding and Skip).  Please read the terms and guidance below.

Terms and Guidance

Please read the following notes carefully

  • This form must be completed on line and before it is submitted you will be directed to our secure payment service to take your payment by card (credit or debit). Applications by email or paper are no longer accepted.
  • The amendment can only be made within five calendar days of the start of the licence that you are changing.
  • All questions in this application form must be completed in as much detail as possible; failure to provide adequate information will delay the processing of your request. Please be aware that we aim to process amendment requests within 8 working days. We cannot guarantee an earlier response.
  • Please note amendments of the below nature will require a new application form (and fee) be submitted;
    • The name of the licensee. If the licence needs to be in the name of another company then a new application form must be submitted.
    • The location of the licence. Each location is assessed individually by our officers so a change in location will need to be considered in full.
    • If the duration of the licence needs to change please note we are unable to extend the duration on this form. Please use the renewal form to extend the life span of the licence. The duration of the licence can be changed to a shorter period but no refund will be made to the original application fee.
    • If the scheduled dates need to change please complete the online form and pay the additional fee.

The fee for this is £30.

Online Amendment Form

Gloucestershire County Council (GCC) process and approve 'Tourism' traffic sign applications in Gloucestershire. To apply, please follow the link below.

Brown and White Tourism Signs

Disabled badge holders who have no alternative parking available may apply for an advisory disabled marked bay. Disabled marked bays are not authorised for carers or other visitors. They are granted to people who have mobility difficulties.

This application will be moving to an on-line form and payment.

The fee for this is £60.

Please read the Disabled Marked Bay Terms & Guidelines and complete the Application Form found below.

Disabled Marked Bay application form

Keep Clear markings (H-markings) are generally provided at sites where the access is not obvious (concealed entrance) or there is a proven problem of continuous obstruction.

Having a private entrance H marking on the road outside your house will not guarantee that the driveway is kept clear, but where these markings have been used, they have been generally successful in deterring drivers from parking across driveways.

This application will be moving to an on-line form and payment.

Private entrance markings are advisory and have no legal status.  The fee for H markings is £100.

Please read the H Marking Terms & Guidelines and complete the Application Form found below.

H Marking application form

This form is to apply for permission for a roadside seat. Please read the guidance within the application below.

Roadside Seat Application Form

For a  street works licence application for placing new or repairing existing apparatus in the highway please follow the link below.

Street Works Licence Application

Temporary signs on the Highway must be agreed with Gloucestershire County Council, as Highways Authority before being placed on the network.

Temporary signs may be for public events or for new housing developments and will not be considered for events such as boot sales.

The names of sponsors/developers, telephone numbers or other contact details must not be displayed on temporary signs.

Signs must not be placed on posts supporting traffic signals, octagonal, triangular or circular signs. Temporary signs must conform to The Traffic Signs Regulation, please see the terms and conditions for full details.

Signs that are permitted to be placed on the highway are done so for an agreed period of time. Once the agreed time frame has passed, all signs and fixings must be removed by the applicant. Failure to do so will incur additional removal fees.

Fees (effective for all applications made from and including 01/09/19)

  Charity/ Not for profit Small Commercial Organisation Large/Medium Organisation
10 signs for up to 6 months - £100 £300
10 signs renewal for up to 6 months - £100 £150
Removal Fee (per sign including fixing of the sign) £10 £10 £50

Please read the Temporary Signs terms and conditions to understand the process and requirements.

The application process

Please complete the below application form and submit with the relevant fee.

If paying by BACS, please telephone the Highways Customer Service Team on 08000 514 514 to obtain a reference number that must be quoted when making the payment.

Application Form

A Vehicle Dropped Kerb (VDK), often referred to as a dropped kerb / crossover, provides the legal means to allow you to access your property safely using a car or other domestic vehicle. The Kerbs are dropped from their normal height and the pavement or verge is strengthened to take the weight of the vehicle crossing it to avoid damage to the pavement, pipes or cables buried beneath it.

As Highways Authority those seeking a vehicle crossover must obtain prior agreement from us before arranging for the work to take place. It is advised to contact your District Council Planning Department before you contact us; to find out if you need planning permission to create the vehicle access, as planning permission as well as our agreement may be needed.

It is an offence under S131 of the Highways Act to excavate the highway, including the footway, without our lawful authority. Unauthorised vehicle crossovers will cause the footway to deteriorate and put those using the footway at risk. We take seriously our duty to maintain our highways and protect it from damage.

Our fees have recently been reviewed. The total fee for the application is £300 payable in two parts. The initial £100 is paid with part 1 of the application and a further fee of £200 is payable with part 2. These forms will be moving on-line.

Additional site visits are charged at £120 per visit.

Please read the NEW TERMS AND CONDITIONS to understand the process and requirements.

The application process

The vehicle crossover application is broken down into a two part application process .

Part 1: 

Site suitability survey – the householder/owner should complete the application form below. 

Part 1 - Application form

Part 2:

Works and Certification - This part of the process can only be completed once part 1 has been submitted and accepted. This joint application should be completed and signed by both the householder/owner and the contractor.

Please download and complete the statutory undertaker enquiries form as it is required for your application and for your reference. These enquiries should be completed before submitting part 2 of the application.

Part 2 - Application form

For other licences and permits including:

please go to the Licences and Permits page.



Help us improve Highways

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.