A40 Over Roundabout Improvement Scheme
The A40 Over Roundabout is located to the northwest of Gloucester and is the primary point of entry into the city for vehicles travelling from the west.
Highways England carried out the first phase of the planned improvement works for this roundabout. That scheme was called the A40 Over Roundabout western approach widening and completed in March 2015. This consisted of widening the A40 eastbound approach to three lanes to allow a dedicated right turn lane, and also widening the roundabout carriageway on the northern side. A pedestrian crossing was moved to a better location and the lighting was improved within the vicinity of the works.
About the scheme
The following improvements have been identified:
- A417 north: widening of the southbound approach to the roundabout entry to provide three lanes at the junction stop line.
- A40 east: widening of the westbound approach to the roundabout entry to provide three lanes at the junction stop line.
- A40 Roundabout - general: The addition of a third circulatory lane within the roundabout.
The overarching goal is to provide a free flowing link for traffic along the currently heavily congested A40 roundabout.
The key objectives have been identified as:
- Reduce journey times, for all users as well, on the A40 between Highnam Roundabout / Longford Roundabout / Gloucester City Centre.
- Improve journey time reliability on the A40 between Highnam Roundabout / Longford Roundabout / Gloucester City Centre.
- Improve the connectivity and capacity of the strategic road network between the Forest of Dean and Gloucester / Cheltenham / Tewkesbury / the M5.
- Business case submission - October 2016
- Business case approved by LEP - December 2016
- Meet the contractor event - 23 April 2018
- Construction start - 30 April 2018
- Construction end - September 2018
Here is a video update on the scheme from Cllr Vernon Smith (cabinet member for highways) following the completion of the over night piling works:
A40 Over Full Business Case Documents
Public Share Events
Thank you to those who attended our public share events on: