A435 Junction Improvement Scheme, Bishops Cleeve
Gloucestershire County Council has started the first phase of improvement works on the A435 at Bishops Cleeve. The long term vision is to provide improved cycle facilities running between Bishops Cleeve and the Cheltenham racecourse roundabout. In order to do that, some junctions on the route need upgrading first.
Works started in January 2022, focussing on improving capacity on the approaches to the Hyde Lane/Southam Lane junction with the A435. This new layout will provide a crossing facility for pedestrians and priority to cyclists at the traffic lights. The work is due to be completed by the end of May 2022.
Planned Road Closures 2022
We understand that these works may cause you disruption and we thank you for your patience and understanding. Our aim, as always, is to complete the work as quickly and safely as possible.
21 - 22 March: A435 (Southam Lane / Hyde Lane junction) lane closures
Overnight lane closures of A435 to enable construction works to be undertaken safely, whilst still maintaining a lane of access through the area.
• 21 March – Lane closures to surface A435 Cheltenham Road.
• 22 March – Lane closures to surface A435 Evesham Road
The work will take place between 8pm and 6am each night.
23 - 24 March: Southam Lane
Overnight closures (8pm - 6am) of Southam Lane in both directions between its junctions with the A435 and the Rugby Club car park access. Please see Southam Lane closure plan for full details of closures and diversion routes.
Week commencing 28 March
Works have now commenced on Hyde Lane side of the junction and we are still working to complete the footpath and Street Lighting on Southam Lane and A435 outside the rugby club. The works will continue under the current 4 way temporary traffic signals.
Why are we doing this work?
The A435 corridor between Bishops Cleeve and Cheltenham suffers from peak time congestion at the Hyde Lane/Southam Lane signal controlled junction. The need for improvements is documented in the Local Plan and Connecting Places Strategy for the Central Severn Vale. This project has been developed to improve capacity at this location and to carry out essential infrastructure improvements for the proposed A435 Bishops Cleeve to Cheltenham cycleway project.
What exactly is happening here?
Key aspects of the work include the following: -
- Widening of the A435 to provide additional stacking lengths with two ahead movement lanes for southbound traffic approaching the junction.
- Widening of the A435 southbound from the junction to provide additional carriageway merge length for the two lanes coming from the north.
- Widening of Southam Lane approaching the A435 junction to provide additional stacking distances
In addition the following works will also be required to facilitate the proposed cycleway project:
- Construction of a new section of footway from the A435 into Southam Lane and linking into the rugby sports grounds.
- Traffic signals upgrade – including rearrangement of the splitter islands, new ducting, kerbing and signal controller apparatus. This is fundamental for the future key crossing of the proposed cycleway/pedestrian route on Southam Lane.
- Advance cycle stop lines on Hyde Lane and Southam Lane approaches to the junction
- Relocation of utility apparatus on Southam Lane
- Relocation of street furniture that would otherwise provide obstruction to movement
- Removal of unnecessary street furniture
- Upgraded and relocated signage
- Upgraded street lighting