Section 4 - M5 overbridge to Arle Court
Find out more about the first section of this scheme by watching our virtual ‘meet the contractor’ video below.
Following extensive engagement and significant additional design, the first section planned for delivery is from the M5 overbridge at Staverton to Pheasant Lane. This is to be immediately followed by the easternmost section from Pheasant Lane to Arle Court roundabout. This work is the first part of the larger B4063 Gloucester to Cheltenham cycle path, creating a high quality and safe route between the centre of Gloucester and the centre of Cheltenham and will link with the current schemes at Arle Court and to the east.
The improvements made to this section of the scheme will include a fully segregated cycleway to Pheasant Lane, where space is available by utilising some of the existing carriageway. From Pheasant Lane this will become a shared cycle path, which is dictated by the available width constraints.
In addition, to meet the required standards for width, space, junction geometry and crossings to improve safety for all users, the speed limit will be reduced. This will be supported with a series of speed reduction measures, including carriageway narrowing, reduced corner radii at junctions and average speed cameras.
Work to deliver the scheme is planned to begin in October 2021, starting with the section between the M5 overbridge to Pheasant Lane. Following this, the section between Pheasant Lane and Arle Court roundabout is planned for spring 2022.
M5 overbridge to Pheasant Lane
- Fully segregated two way cycleway - 2.5m wide reducing to 2m east of Hayden Lane
- Pedestrian footway – 2m wide reducing to a 1.5m minimum east of Hayden Lane
- New improved ramped access to private driveways
- Carriageway will be narrowed to no less than 3.15m each way
- Bus stops in the carriageway to limit any impact on bus journey times
- New areas of amenity landscaping
- Priority cycle path crossings at Hayden Lane and Pheasant Lane
This part will be delivered by contractor Knights Brown.
Meet the contractor - Knights Brown
Here is a recording of our virtual event from Wednesday 3 November 2021
Pheasant Lane to Arle Court roundabout
- Shared cycle track, between 2.8m and 4.2m width, the majority is to be 3m width
- Improved sightlines and visibility
- Carriageway narrowing no less than 3m each way
- Direct link into the continuous cycle facilities being constructed as part of the West Cheltenham Walking and Cycling Improvements
Scheme drawings for M5 overbridge to Arle Court
Drawings updated to reflect design revisions: February 2022