Definitive Map and associated registers

Click the sections below to find out more about the map and how to request changes.

What is the Definitive Map and Statement?

It is a legal record of the public rights of way and shows the routes of each public footpath, bridleway, restricted byway and byway open to all traffic in the county.

It is possible to change the Definitive Map by applying for a modification order or public path diversion order.

There are three types of modifications:

  • Deleting the public right of way from the Definitive Map
  • Adding a public right of way to the Definitive Map
  • Altering the status of a public right of way already recorded e.g. footpath to bridleway

If you wish to apply to vary the route of an existing Public Right of Way, please contact our Public Rights of Way Department via (marked FAO PROW Team).

If you wish to apply to add or delete rights of way, or to change the status of paths already shown on the Definitive Map (either through the submission of 'user evidence', or 'historic documentary evidence', or a combination of both), please contact our Modification Orders Team via

Privacy Notice - please select 'Definitive Map Modification Orders Team'

Page updated: 24/03/2021 Page updated by: Highways

Help us improve Highways

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.