Definitive Map and associated registers
Click the sections below to find out more about the map and how to request changes.
What is the Definitive Map and Statement?
It is a legal record of the public rights of way and shows the routes of each public footpath, bridleway, restricted byway and byway open to all traffic in the county.
- How do I access the Definitive Map?
- Definitive Map Modification Orders and Public Path Orders
- Register of Definitive Map Modification Order applications
- List of Current Diversion/Extinguishment Orders - PPDOs (under Section 118/119 of the Highways Act 1980)
- Highways Act 1980, Section 31(6) depositions
You can ordinarily view the original map at Shire Hall during office hours (no need to book an appointment).
An electronic representation is available online:Rights of Way Map. (This is not the definitive map but our attempt to show the data in an electronic format.)
Status of the Shire Hall Public Map Room: OPEN
When the status is showing as 'OPEN' , the Map Room is available for use during normal office hours on the below basis. If we have to close the Map Room, the above will state "CURRENTLY CLOSED" and will not be available. You should therefore check the current status on the day of your visit to avoid any wasted journey.
In order to open safely, we request all of the following:
- Do not attend the Map Room if you are displaying any Covid, cold, or flu like symptoms.
- Complete a negative lateral flow test no more than 18hrs before coming in.
- Please advise us ASAP at email@example.com if you test positive for Covid19 within 48hrs of visiting the Map Room.
- Wear a mask at all times in Reception and the Map Room.
- Leave 'Track & Trace' details at Reception, if requested.
- Use hand sanitiser (provided outside the Map Room) before entering the Map Room, and ensure your hands are fully dry before handling any of the records.
- Respect social distancing by waiting outside if there are already two people in the Map Room.
We ask that you do not exceed the 2-person occupancy of the Map Room. Please attend on your own if possible, and if you have a lot of records to view, we request you take breaks from the Map Room to allow others to also use it.
If we are notified of a case of Covid19, we may need to close the Map Room at short notice. If we are advised of the abuse of the 2-person occupancy, we may also need to close the Room. Any such closure will be shown on this page.
Thank you for your cooperation.