Winter - Are you ready?
During winter weather, there are things we can all do to look after ourselves and others.
We’re doing our bit – our teams are at work on the roads, in homes and communities to help Gloucestershire get through winter, whatever the weather throws at us. Our fleet of 29 gritting vehicles makes sure main routes across the county are safe to drive.
What can you do?
- Check you know where your stop tap is at home and make sure your pipes are insulated
- Top up the anti-freeze in your car, check your tyres and carry a ‘winter kit’ when you drive
- Freeze a loaf of bread and a pint of milk you can use if you can’t get to the shops easily
- Check you’re getting all the help to heat your home you’re entitled to
Look after yourself
- Keep your home heated to at least 18C
- Visit your pharmacist at the first sign of winter illnesses
- Get your free flu jab if you’re entitled to it
- Drive with extra care
Look out for others
- Keep in touch with elderly neighbours, friends and family
- Make sure they’re warm
- Help them get to the shops, pharmacy or GP to pick up medication or food or to get their flu jab
- Watch for illnesses and help them get help early on
- If you’re worried about someone sleeping rough contact Gloucestershire’s street homeless outreach team via www.streetlink.org.uk or by downloading the Streetlink app from the app store, or you can call 0300 500 0914.
Find out more
The Highways winter service team grits over 1,000 miles of the county’s road network, have over 4,800 grit bins for the public to use and work with over 100 snow warden volunteers. The team of 75 staff and 29 gritters are on standby 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, ready to deal with whatever the weather has in store.
Gritting Routes map
Switch on the map layers required, then click on the Road for more details
GCC cannot accept responsibility for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused by the use of or reliance on this information.